251 volts and counting

That little AM radio station I take care of sounded bad today. So i go up to the transmit site and after doing some readings find 251 volts coming in. from the power company. I shut everything down and called power company to inform them. apparently they where trying to boost up the lines to this rural area due to the 92 degree day very unusual for around here. The alarm panel I use to protect the site was buzzing as well and shut that down. after I called them they cranked back what ever and i was still little high but with in operating specs. it has been absolute hell around here this summer trying to keep electronic systems functioning. from the severe cold and extreme snow in march to now high heat and extreme thunder storms I am seeing damage Like I have never seen it before around this area. any one else seeing this in there territory. some times we go from high 80's to low 50's overnight this constant up down is not helping either.

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

That's nuts. I wonder how many claims they are going to get for destroying equipment.

Around here (Houston) that never happens because it's expected that everyone will be running their A/C's. I do remember one time it got bad enough where they had to implement "rolling blackouts" to keep up supply. Everyone was shut off for 30-45 minutes in a rotation on the grid so no one area had to suffer a complete extended loss of service.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Our electrical grid is very old around here they are slowly upgrading it but the heat is putting a severe strain on it. Even local papers ran article about all the transformers popping.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.