VGA cable (component signal) interference

I have a projector home theatre setup and I am seeing a wide lighter band roll from bottom to top in my video signal. The color in that band is preserved, just lighter. Much like dark scan lines of a CRT when videotaped, but slow (takes several seconds to pass by) and light instead of dark. I know what causes the CRT lines, no need to go into that... and I'm pretty sure I know what's causing my lines (in theory). But how can I clean it up? Can I buy a device to clean that up or do I have to get a better cable? If I have to get a better cable, then how do I know what's a 'good' cable, the one I have says it's quite well shielded... I'm assuming that my problem is caused by interference in my area, but what should I do about it? The lines aren't 'horrible' but they are distracting in dark scenes.

Things of note: When I use a short video cable, there is no band. Whether I use a long s-video cable or a VGA cable makes no difference, the band is there with both long cables. The cables in question are 50ft long (s-video is actually two 25ft cables connected together). If I use the 50ft cables, yet curl them up 5 ft from the video source there is no band. Only when stretched out to length is there a band.

I have a Sanyo DVD player and I'm using the component outputs to send video to my projector (Dell 2300MP). The projector doesn't have component inputs per se, it uses the VGA input to carry that signal and I presume the electronics sort it out inside. The projector shipped with a cable with component plugs on one end and a vga connector on the other, I'm plugging in my VGA extension into that.

As anyone with a projector probably knows, the projector is a ways away from the DVD player and I purchased a 50ft VGA cable to do the job from Dell with the projector. ($50, wasn't too bad)

(in case you want specifics)

formatting link
From their marketing blurb: Constructed from high quality UL 2919 certified double-shielded (90% braid)

28AWG 75 Ohm coaxial conductors for the RGB signals, 28AWG 50 Ohm RG174/U for the H-sync signal, 28 AWG twisted pair cable, and solid pins for maximum durability, this cable features superior signal integrity design for minimal signal distortion, loss and ghosting.

Is that information bloated or is it just not enough?

Thank you in advance!

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson
Loading thread data ...

I can't stand Dell...

Acoustic Research makes excellent cables for great prices. I'd recommend you look into that. Also make sure that your cables don't run near any poorly shielded cables or flourescent lamps. There are also some in-line devices you can install.

Reply to
ebackhus

so what... if you would have put some short comment about why, maybe there would have been a point to you saying that, but either way it's off-topic extra fodder.

That said... while I don't have any brand loyalty myself, I do have to say that any company that gives me a 24hr PRE-ship replacement as part of the standard warranty is good in my book. Maybe PRE-ship replacements and 4 hour on-site response if they do have to come out just isn't good enough for some people.

Maybe their 'home' segment isn't great, but I always buy from the business side with on site support so even my phone calls are a breeze. Take note: mostly all Dell's 'home' staff are from Iraq (or wherever), while their 'business' staff are US based works on a rep system (so I always call Gary to order, not a phone bank). It's like dealing with 2 totally different companies.

Well thank you for trying I guess, the basic general suggestion was good. But I asked if a device existed to put in-line to clean it up... and you simply said 'yup'.

What, who, and where, was the expected information... maybe I should have been more clear...

If such a device exists, then where might I get one? And to be a little more clear, a URL would be great - as a Google search for Acoustic Research made for MANY results for example - none of which so far show a listing for a 50ft VGA cable product made by AR (as my question pointed out would be my need).

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

The cable's probably fine. You've tried two different cables with the same result. I don't think we're getting the whole story here. What is that cable crossing in the 45 excess feet to the projector. Look around for air conditioner, subwoofer, mini-fridge, or even the projector's own power cord. Signal running parallel to power is baadddd. Get out the stud finder and look at the wall that it runs along. You might have to search out cable or sat.TV runs giving off interference, or it could even be plumbing! Is there a guest bathroom nextdoor? just put the projector on a rolling ottoman and start pulling back. The cable gets unwound further and further, until you see the 'light bars'. Whevever you're standing, that's where your problem is.

Reply to
nselson

Well, in the front of the room is my TV and stand, along with a DVD player, DirecTV Tivo, cheap surround sound unit - all of which are off except the sound during projector use.

I was running the cable next to the wall all the way which passed by my desk and computer, but then I moved it to the center of the room. I also moved the cable at the front so it was not going by my little cheap sound unit. Still have the line.

Here are some pictures if you want to see things. (I just moved in so no furniture, and shut up about the cat-5). The pictures show how I first had the cable run along the wall. The video picture doesn't show the line... I wasn't trying to get it at the time, but could if anyone wanted to see it probably.

The signal cable you can see along the wall in pic 31, and the last of it curled on the counter in front of the projector in pic 40. Also in pic 40, you can see the power cord going off to the right to the plug there in the wall.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
The reason I'm looking for a filter of some kind is that whater is causing my lines is something out of my control it seems.

I am going to try using a UPS for power tonight just to rule out the power itself - don't know if that makes sense, but I'm going to eliminate it anyway.

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Shawn, the Dell extension won't cut it on this one. If AR or even RadioShack(Gold) is making VGA in that length, snatch one up. That being said, the real problem(which I don't think you can do much about), is the location of your projector. Not only does the cable pass right by the computer(hard-drive, power supply, etc.); but the projector itself stands only a few feet from a refridgerator compressor and a microwave oven. If you owned the place, you could someday mount it in one of those wall cabinets and run the cable through the ductwork that runs the length of the ceiling. That would most definately solve the interference problem but you'd still have to get a new cable for reasons of fire code! Good luck, my friend.

Reply to
nselson

Well, like I said, the cable was moved to the middle of the floor... and during all of this the PC was off.

As for the projector in the kitchen (at least 6 feet in front of the fridge), I should be able to un plug the fridge for a few minutes and see if my problem goes away, right? And would a microwave and fridge cause an issue when neither are actually in use at the time? (meaning that the fridge isn't 'pumping' at the time, just sitting idle)

In any case, I'm back to my initial question, do they make (and where would I get one from) a device to filter such noise out?

I'd have no problem unplugging the fridge and microwave during a movie, and I have the PC off already during a movie usually, but if I'm still left with a problem then it's something outside of my appt (at least outside of my control) and I'm still left looking for a filter.

Thanks for your input.

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Shawn,

It looks like an apartment to me??? If so, it could be the guy above or

below is running a fan? frig? fluorescents? etc....In which case you'll

just have to invite him to all of your screenings...

Reply to
yustr

Interestingly enough, when the projector is showing it's own logo screen and searching for a signal, there is no evidence of interference. Only once the video source is pulled in through a long cable does a problem show up.

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Well, I must come back to the group with a humble 'duh' on my part.

I was going to try a higher quality s-video cable and I had a DVD playing at the time. I reached behind the player and found an s-video cable still plugged in. This wasn't so much of a surprise since I had the s-video cable going to my TV for when I didn't use the projector. What WAS a surprise was when I unplugged the cable the video showing on the projector instantly got about 25% brighter and was perfect. The band has gone away and I've got a measurable increase in video quality.

This may be obvious to some, but I would guess at this point that since the component and s-video outputs use some of the same electronics in the DVD player (I'm guessing that since I have to choose between them in the player's menu). I'm guessing that because of that, simply having both cables plugged in at the same time causes issue with the video signal being sent out of the player.

No need of a filter I guess, just more education on my part for the hook up.

Thanks for the brain time everyone, sorry to waste your time.

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Well, I must come back to the group with a humble 'duh' on my part.

I was going to try a higher quality s-video cable and I had a DVD playing at the time. I reached behind the player and found an s-video cable still plugged in. This wasn't so much of a surprise since I had the s-video cable going to my TV for when I didn't use the projector. What WAS a surprise was when I unplugged the cable the video showing on the projector instantly got about 25% brighter and was perfect. The band has gone away and I've got a measurable increase in video quality.

This may be obvious to some, but I would guess at this point that since the component and s-video outputs use some of the same electronics in the DVD player (I'm guessing that since I have to choose between them in the player's menu). I'm guessing that because of that, simply having both cables plugged in at the same time causes issue with the video signal being sent out of the player.

No need of a filter I guess, just more education on my part for the hook up.

Thanks for the brain time everyone, sorry to waste your time.

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.