Cable interference

(this is a continuation of an older thread, I thought it might be good to start fresh)

Anyone who was following the other thread, sorry for the repost, but I thought it might be good to start with a clean slate of information just in case the point got lost in the muck.

I have a light band rolling through my video and can't find the cause. I'm looking for a device possibly to filter out whatever noise this might be.

I am using a DVD player and it's component output to provide video to my projector. The cable is a 50ft VGA cable because my projector uses the VGA input for a component signal. (the projector came with a component to VGA adapter cable).

Things suggested and my response is as follows:

1. better cable r: I'm more than happy to shop for a new cable, but what criteria should I use? Saying brand X is a good cable doesn't really help me. Is there a particular level of shielding I should look for? The cable I have says it's
90% shielded. What specification should I look for in a 'good' cable?

1. interference from things around the cable or projector. r: I have un-plugged EVERYTHING with a plug in my appt. The TV, the surround sound system, the fridge, the microwave, my computer, etc... Not just shut off, but unplugged. The only two things plugged in are my DVD player and the projector. I've never had my PC on while using the projector, but for kicks I turned it on and the line did get worse. But with the PC unplugged the line is still there. So while the PC does introduce it's own noise, it's been off this whole time... it's not the source.

2. dirty signal / power r: I'm now using an APC UPS to provide power to the projector. The power to the projector is perfectly clean. The signal from the DVD player does not introduce the light band through a shorter cable (6ft). I moved the DVD player to the back of the room and used a short cable to the projector. This produced a perfect picture with no light band. The projector's own power cable being close to the signal cable had been mentioned as well, so for good measure I put them as far apart as possible. They are now only close where they plug into the projector and that can't change obviously.

At this point, I'm left thinking that the band must be caused by some outside source (RF from a local radio station?) and it's not in my control to remove the source of the interference. I'm left trying to find a way to filter it out of the cable. There are what look like ferride core things at each end of the video cable, but would bigger/more of them help? What about an electronic device of some kind that can go inline with the signal cable to filter out whatever might be causing this?

Thank you all for your suggestions. Maybe I'll just have to put up with this, or just buy random cables until one works. I just have to believe that there is a specific cable or device that can help me out there. Google is turning up hundreds of cables and filters, but I'd hate to just start taking shots in the dark if someone out there knows what would work for me.

Thanks again!

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson
Loading thread data ...

Well, I must come back to the group with a humble 'duh' on my part.

I was going to try a higher quality s-video cable and I had a DVD playing at the time. I reached behind the player and found an s-video cable still plugged in. This wasn't so much of a surprise since I had the s-video cable going to my TV for when I didn't use the projector. What WAS a surprise was when I unplugged the cable the video showing on the projector instantly got about 25% brighter and was perfect. The band has gone away and I've got a measurable increase in video quality.

This may be obvious to some, but I would guess at this point that since the component and s-video outputs use some of the same electronics in the DVD player (I'm guessing that since I have to choose between them in the player's menu). I'm guessing that because of that, simply having both cables plugged in at the same time causes issue with the video signal being sent out of the player.

No need of a filter I guess, just more education on my part for the hook up.

Thanks for the brain time everyone, sorry to waste your time.

-- Shawn Wilson

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Though I didn't respond to your thread, take solace in knowing that you found the problem and that it was simple enough to not be able to see the forest through the trees for awhile.

It isn't a waste of anyone's time, but rather a good reminder to all to look at the more simple things first. There are many of us that have gone through similar scenarios and I'll be the first one to admit it!

Reply to
L Alpert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.