x10 switch problem?

I have a wall motion sensor switch that I've been using happily for some

2 years now. It controls the ceiling fixture which up until today was a ceiling fan that came with the house.

Today I took the fan off and I installed a new fixture. It uses a 30W fluorescent ring bulb. The light is off when the switch is off, it's on (and steady) when the switch is on, but it flickers continuously when the switch is in the middle (i.e. set to motion detection). Is this normal? Must I have an incandescent bulb with that switch?

I installed the switch and the light fixture, so I may have done something wrong, but so far nothing has blown up yet.

Reply to
Amadeus W.M.
Loading thread data ...

If you inspect the switch I suspect that you'll find an admonishment like "For Incandescent Use Only" so you'll have to replace it or the bulb.

Reply to
bruceR

Would I have the same problem if I replaced the switch with an X10 switch? Does x10 work at all with fluorescent lights?

Reply to
Amadeus W.M.

You'll need to use the "Appliance" model with the relay inside.

Reply to
bruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.