X10 and LED incandescent replacement bulbs

I hate CFLs so am experimenting with LED incandescent replacement bulbs. My first attempt is with a C.Crane CC Vivid+ LED bulb. This unit is only useful as a night light as it has very low output. But, using it with a LM465 Lamp Module it does dim. However, when OFF it still produces a dim light, presumably from the LM465 sense current.

My question is: Is this type of dim-even-when-OFF behavior going to happen with ALL LED bulbs I may want to use (with an LM465 or similar)? Or is it a try-it-and-see type of thing?

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

Something else to consider is that the 120V LED bulbs may contain a switching regulator that can interfere with X10 communications. A 4W 120V E27 Lumoform turned out to be the worse noise generator I have seen. Its switching regulator ran almost exactly at the 120KHz X10 frequency, and it severely effected X10 communication on its circuit - even to the Leviton switches with "Intellisense" gated AGC.

I reported here last year that I was trying some 12V MR16 LED bulbs for our landscape lights. While they worked well, the better ones were pretty expensive at about $20 each. More recently I found a 5W Feit 12V MR16 compact fluorescent that works very well in the landscape lights, and is less than half the price of the better LED bulbs. The Feit model number is BPESLEXN. I just finished converting all our 20W halogens to these CFLs, and they put out the same amount of light on 1/4 the power. Any noise generated by them is blocked by the step-down transformer, and the in-line X10 relay switch powering that transformer still works fine.

This dealer offers an excellent price on the Feit bulbs:

formatting link
Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

I've used LED xmas lights the last few years, and what I ended up doing was either adding a night light (7w) or using a 120v relay and an appliance module.

There are module hacks to eliminate the sense current, but I've not had success with that change.

Reply to
J Miller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.