Using X-10 AM486 Outdoors?

I am using an AM486 appliance module to control my wife's holiday
lights. The outlet into which the lights are plugged is outdoors but
located in a well protected area on our covered porch.
My problem is that sometimes, the unit simply fails to respond to
commands (on or off). I have found that if I unplug the AM486, bring it
inside for a period of several hours, and return it to service, it seems
to begin working as expected once again.
I note now that the unit is marked "for indoor use only". Is the cold
or moist air here in the Pacific Northwest causing the problem? If so,
any suggested "fixes"? Is there a similar unit (it need not have local
control) that is better for this outdoor installation?
Thanks
PS - In addition to the holiday lights, I have also plugged-in a small
power brick as suggested elsewhere so that the unit will actually turn
off any LED lights that are being controlled. This works just fine, it
seems. But perhaps this is part of the problem? Cheers!
Reply to
David White
Loading thread data ...
I have used modules outdoors in "protected areas" many times with no problems. Right now there is one controlling my post light which is located at the street end of the driveway. The module is plugged in at the house and connected to an underground cable to the post light. Eventually, I will wire it to a module that is presently in the basement that controls another post light. But for now, this temporary fix is working. At Christmas, there were other lights plugged into the outlet at the base of the post light. I also have had 2 other outdoors modules on porches for various Christmas lights with no problems. I am in western NC where the lowest temp might get to 10 once or twice. BTW, I have even covered a module with a plastic bag where it would otherwise get wet.
Also, when I lived in the suburbs of Chicago, I had 3 outlet modules with outside covers. When it would get very cold, below zero, the relay would sometimes pulse 3 times and not latch up when given an on command. I changed the module to a new one and it eliminated the problem. I found an article through Google that said you can clean and lube the solenoid. I did that to that module as it was doing the same thing indoors. It now works properly.
Reply to
Art Todesco
Thanks for the reply and suggestion, Art. I found this site that described how to clean and relube the thing. Just finished and have it back in service where it is now working again. However only time will tell. Cheers!
Art Todesco wrote:
Reply to
David White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.