Here's a New Problem for Me...

I've been using X10 type products for so long, I thought I've had every problem you could have. I have a new one that has me stumped. A module in question works perfectly except it won't turn off from the CM11. It turns on from the CM11 and on/off from any remote in use but it won't turn off through a programmed command or directly from my computer with the CM11 connected. All other commands work fine on all modules except this one. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe

Reply to
JW
Loading thread data ...

CM11A output is weaker than the output of the RR501 or TM751 RF modules. It's possible that the device you are turning on creates lots of noise. In that case, the OFF signal of the weaker CM11A is blocked from by the noise but the noise is not sufficient to block the stronger output from the RF modules. When the device off, it's not creating any noise so that weaker CM11A signal is able to turn it on.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Robert, You solved my problem. I was using the module to power 3 AC adaptors to charge my laptop and PDAs. After disconnecting the biggest one (laptop of course), it works fine. Guess I'll try a separate module just for that transformer. Thanks a bunch, Joe

Reply to
JW

You're welcome. May I suggest that you plug your noisy units into one of these

1626 FILTERLINC 5-AMP PLUG-IN NOISE FILTER Normally $24.99 Hot Deal $19.99

formatting link
and the problem should go away. Worthington and others sell them as well (X-10 and Leviton brands). Unfortunately, no modern X-10 installation can really survive without filters anymore. The powerline's a lot noisier than it was when X-10 was born. Lots of new equipment is powered by switch mode power supplies and sadly, many are designed so that they either emit noise or cause X-10 signal attentuation. I also recommend you buy a cheap but very useful ESM-1 X-10 signal strength meter. It will help resolve any future issues quickly.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Bobby, Thanks for the recommendations but, I just set up another module with the same codes and it works great. I may buy those later when I can't work around the problem. Right now I have plenty of modules so this is the best solution for me right now. I'm saving your text for future reference and I just want to thank you again because I'm sure I'll run into this problem again. Joe

Reply to
JW

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.