Vista and Home Automation

Since I upgraded to Vista, my Smarthome Manager software is no longer compatible and I need to upgrade my automation/X10 PC-based control unit and software. Smarthome has the INSTEON HouseLinc Desktop kit which I believe is Vista compatible. Just curious what others are using and their experience/recommendations. Thanks.

Reply to
kent
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
D&SW

I use the Insteon house link program to set up my approx 80 or 90 Insteon devices. Its a pretty easy program to use and you can choose to only send the the changes to your network, so you dont need to download the whole database to every device every time you do an update. I say this because when I do do a full "discovery" of all my devices it takes a few minutes to gather all the data for the 90 devices, reflashing all 90 devices takes even longer so the "apply only the changes" option is nice. This is not the kind of program you leave on 24 hours a day, its just for programming your devices and creating complicated multi-device cross links, scenes, cross status, etc. But it does what it does efficiently, they do need to add some reports though, when you have 90 devices it can be complicated to remember how you intended certain cross links to work, etc.

Reply to
RickH

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.