Using RCS RS-485 8-Button LCD Keypad with ELK M1

Hello all,

Has anyone used the RCS RS-485 keypad with an ELK M1? From a quick read it appears they should be compatable. Considering it as an "easy" way to set temperature should I choose not to install a thermosat (mentioned in my earlier post) and perhaps a cheaper interface (but not as nice) than the ELK touch screen.

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
Ray
Loading thread data ...

I don't think it would be quite that easy.

First of all, the ELK M1 RS-485 bus and the RCS bus run at different speeds. You'd have to connect the RCS Keypad to a Serial Port Expander (M1XSP) to get the baud rate to 9600. Also, the RCS keypad is a polled device. You'd have to write rules to query the keypad, then write rules to capture the response(s).

Have you thought about using RSC thermostats and temp sensors? (TR16-485, TR40-485, or RS21) The ELK M1 supports them.

Reply to
R. Lejeune

RL, Thanks for your reply. Was planning on the Serial Port Expander as needed that for my UPB lighting already in place. Didn't realize I would have to wrte rules though. All indicators from the help I recieved on this board point to going with thermostats and biting the bullet on the ELK touch$creen if I want a fancy interface without relying on a PC.

I will take a close look at the RCS thermostats you recommended.

Thanks again, Ray

Reply to
Ray

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.