Whats your opinion on this tablet PC as an HA touch screen

Hello all,

Don't know if I'm one of the few having hard time with the value of the $1200 ELK touch screen.. I can afford it, but it really comes down to the value for the dollar in my book.

I came across this relatively new Samsung touch screen tablet PC. It's only 1" deep and has great specs, including wireless given the size. It is (only!) $1100 but, it's a real computer and can run the remote management software nicely.

Check it out, would love to hear your thoughts.. especialy from anyone that think the ELK touchscreen is a better option for the money.

formatting link

Reply to
Ray
Loading thread data ...

I'd say dedicated touchscreen interface manufacturers are crying about now. I've had my eye on this Samsung as a dedicated platform for all my home automation software and remote controls. I'd love to do some software development on it too.

Reply to
RickH

Yes, it looks like a nice unit and after some shopping around it can be had for just over $1000. If you want it predecessor, which is certainly capable for HA use you can find it for about $600. I agree - don't know how the manufacturers of dedicated touchscreen devices that run Windows CE at best can charge what they do.

Reply to
Ray

Looks a lot like what the Nokia one was trying to be.

Reply to
Steve

What's the predecessor model number?

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

The earlier model was just called the Q1 (as opposed to Q1 ultra) It looks a bit different and does not hafe the split "keyboard" on the sides.

Reply to
Ray

I think the new one also upped the screen resolution to 1024 x 600, nice for security camera monitoring, or making a video intercom with the front panel cameras, etc.

Reply to
RickH

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.