Today's Radio Shack purchase

Whoever can most closely guess the amount of money I spent today at Radio Shack wins.

I went in to buy two SPST N/C pushbuttons, and came out with this:

formatting link

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson
Loading thread data ...

Is there a sale today?

Reply to
BruceR

Only here. One of the locations here in Richmond is going out of business. From the components bins, 5 items for a dollar. All of the relays, and switches and adapters you see, total, cost $16.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Cool! I'd pop in if it wasn't 5000 miles away.

Reply to
BruceR

When a local Lafayette went out of business 20+ years ago, I bought a lot of

*very* similar things. Many are still in their original bubble packs, partly due to my overestimation of how useful things like Nixie tubes would be! I guess they are collector's items, now. I did manage to use a lot of the relays that they sold off for less that 10% of retail and a number of switches, too, but most of the other stuff still sits in a box, waiting.

From what I read in Business Week, there may be a lot more Shack closeouts because corporate HQ has dictated that stores remove their small parts inventory as too unprofitable. That may spell the end of RatShack since any

*big* money I spend their usually comes from looking for a small part and seeing a sale display. I doubt I am the only one with that sort of spending pattern. If they don't have the odd connector, I'm not going to be checking in with them very frequently.

I'm betting you'll still have some of that stuff NIB 20 years from now. ;-) Of course, if I lived in Richmond, I'd be rummaging instead of writing this message. I think we're programmed to find such deals irresistible.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Here here. Go in for a pack of 220k ohm resistors, come out with a Roboraptor. I'm not sure I'll be able to buy electronic components in a store ANYWHERE now. Maybe I better head back over there tomorrow and see what's left. :)

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Holy crap. I don't know what 75% of those items do, but I'm so, so jealous.

Well played!

Reply to
Phrogz

E. Lee Dickinson wrote,

Probably only a little more than they're actually worth.

Reply to
Jon Woellhaf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.