High-pass filter to block noisy line

I have comcast internet. For the last week, I have had very sporadic connection. My modem seems to work decent during the day, and then has trouble syncing in the evening. Sometimes it works for hours, then not at all. Recycling the modem sometimes fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. I have tried isolating the modem on a single run with a brand new cable (disconnecting everything else) and it doesn't seem to matter whether the modem is all by itself, or on any specific leg. My cable TV reception is perfect. So I'm thinking one of my neighbors is causing a problem.

Can I put a high-pass filter in front of my cable modem to keep these signals from it? I have an initial 2-way splitter...one leg goes to the "TV side" and the other leg goes to the "modem side". I know it's customary to install a high-pass filter on the "TV side", but that still wouldn't seem to keep my modem protected from stray signals coming from my neighbors. Can I install a high-pass filter on the "modem leg" to keep the bad stuff out? Trying to avoid calling Comcast and dealing with all that.

Reply to
SixDoubleO
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried logging in to the modem and checking your signal levels ?

Reply to
$Bill

I have a Zoom 5011. It doesn't have that capability. Any way to easily check my signal levels?

Reply to
SixDoubleO

So if I'm hearing you correctly....

If my next door neighbor has bad wiring which is causing me problems, the only way to fix it is to address the problem at the neighbor's house. There's nothing which can be done on my end?

Like I said....this is very perplexing as everything works fine all day long (hell, I'm remoted desktop'ed into home right now over the comcast connection....) but when I get home tonight....around 6:30-8:30 it'll lose sync.....almost like my neighbor turned something on.

Reply to
SixDoubleO

A high pass filter that passes the cable modem signal, will also pass any interfering signal, unless your modem is sensitive to out of band signals. Also, any filter has to pass the signals in both directions, which includes frequencies below TV channel 2. Until you know what the interfering signal is, there's not much you can do about it.

Reply to
James Knott

I just found that a problem solving database that used to be only available to RCN employees, is now on the web, ostensibly for customers to use. Not sure what value it may have for readers here, but . . .

formatting link
maybe it will provide some entertainment?

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

perhaps I should have given this one

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

well, the brackets definitely didn't work for me and my non-news reader, OE.

formatting link
dj

63931303431353632>
Reply to
Dr. Cajones

No, I'm saying that until you have a better idea about what's causing the problem, you can't do much about it. Assuming your neighbour is doing something that's causing interference on the frequencies used by your modem, a filter at your end will do absolutely nothing to improve the situation and in fact, may make things worse. Why do you think your neighbour is the cause? The first thing you should be doing, is calling your cable company, so that they can run tests, which might isolate the problem.

Reply to
James Knott

I had that for a while. TV was perfect but Internet connection was sporadic. One leg of the splitter, the one to the modem, had a bad connection. Loosening then retightening took care of it. FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
MisterSkippy

I believe what he's saying is you need to determine what the problem is before you guess at a solution.

You're only guessing that your next door neighbor is doing something. And you're also guessing that a particular filter is going to fix the problem. If you're dead-set on just guessing at things, go ahead and do what you want. But the smarter thing to do would be to determine what the problem actually is before you start trying to fix it.

Now if you're not equipped to troubleshoot the issue, then the prudent thing to do would be to find someone who can. But if you'd rather go down to Radio Shack, and spend your money on random parts, it's your prerogative. Just let the rest of us know so we can buy some more stock in Radio Shack because the odds of you being right the first time without having done any troubleshooting is next to nothing.

Reply to
Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.