PLCBUS

Has anybody heard about PLCBUS? Is it the 220-240V version of the UPB?

Rgds, Jo

Reply to
Jo
Loading thread data ...

They don't provide much technical data on their web page...

formatting link
But there is enough to see that it is not UPB. They say it's low frequency spread spectrum and can send 10 commands per sec>Has anybody heard about PLCBUS? Is it the 220-240V version of the UPB? >

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave,

Reply to
Jo

Jo,

UPB discharges a capacitor to generate a (noise) pulse. It would be a bit of a stretch to call that spread spectrum. If it were on a 50Hz system it would be capable of 200 bits per second which is 200/8 or 25 bytes per second. UPB uses a variable command length which can be 7-25 bytes long. Even with the shortest command, that's 25/7 or just under 6 commands per second (with the longest command it becomes 1 command per second) as opposed to PLCBUS which says they can send 10 commands per second.

The English version of their web site is difficult reading because the English is awkward so I suppose it might be UPB based. They indicate they licensed the technology from a US software company called Magma. Whether that's related to PCS, I don't know.

Your best approach is to send email to snipped-for-privacy@s10.cn ask>Dave,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Dave Houston

done that ten times minimum.. no response still on holidays "labour day" :-)

will want to order but not encourging response i.e. no response to mails /leaving queries on the site /calling 800 number

if any of you get lucky let me know as well

Reply to
veekaydee

That's not encouraging since China's Labor's Day holidays were May 1-7.

A little more sleuthing on their various web pages turned up this link on the origins of PLC-BUS. It appears to have nothing to do with UPB.

formatting link
I really doubt that it even exists outside the imag>Dave Houst>> Jo,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave,

this company do exist, I have bought X-10 switches from them. I also have send emails asking about their similarity with UPB, but as you might have expected, no good answers regarding technical questions.

Saying that this technology has nothing to do with UPB, I think it is too premature. If you have downloaded UPB_Overview.pdf from UPB and "PLCBUS Technical Informations.pdf", I believe you would say there is something between the two (At least their presentation format and general informations). Go to "UPB Communications Summary" on page 6 of the first pdf file and compare it with "3. Product Definition Product Features" on page 18 in the second pdf file. You would be surprise on how similar the two.

My suspicion is that UPB licences the tecnology to this company with the agreement that S-10 can use a different software protocol and market them with different name. In terms of hardware signalling, I guess both of them are at least almost the same.

Just my two cents.

Best Regards, Jo

Reply to
Jo

I don't doubt the company exists but I seriously doubt the PLC-BUS product line exists.

Do you have a URL for "PLCBUS Technical Informations.pdf"?

The press release makes it clear that they licensed the technology from a company >Dave,

Reply to
Dave Houston

I could not get into their website just now, but it is in the donwload link on

formatting link

If you have a yahoo mail or any other email that have anti spam, maybe I could send both pdf files to you.

BTW, they do have their PLCBUS product lines, I've got their price list. Just not sure should buy or not for compatibility reason with OmniPro II. They suggest using their X-10 to PLCBUS transceiver which I do not interest as this scheme still using X-10.

Reply to
Jo

I finally found the download link.

The file "PLCBUS Technical Informations.pdf" has absolutely no technical information. It is all marketing fluff with a pitch for investors.

Some of the things included in the PDF are quite similar to the slides in this presentation...

formatting link
so it may be that they have copied UPB. There just isn't sufficient technical detail to decide.

The PDF does indicate they plan to enter the US market while in another place on their web site they claim millions of existing installations in the US and Europe.

At the end of the document (p29) is this...

As of June 2005 SSE Ltd. has filed two patents covering the basic methods and implementation of the PLCBUS technology.

If it is UPB or if it is licensed from a company in Holland (ATS Ltd), they certainly could not patent it.

"PLCBUS Specification" is an .rar file. It has a corrupt header and WinRAR cannot open it.

I w>I could not get into their website just now, but it is in the donwload link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hi...

I using PLC-Bus for a couple of months now in my house and it works exactly as they specified. Fast, reliable and compatible with X-10. Don't want use any other system anymore...

PLC-Bus is already excisting for a couple of years... in 2002 invented by ATS Ltd. in Amsterdam, Netherlands.... UPB is just 2 years old and PLC-Bus is launched by ATS Ltd. in 2002 after several years of development.... probarly is UPB based on PLC-Bus as they have a lot of same technical specifications...

Reason for me to use PLC-Bus is because a lot of big companies like Philips, Microsoft, IBM, KPN, Nokia, Motorola, HP, DELL, IBM, Siemens and Intel have a agreement with PLC-bus and plans to use it in there consumer electronics. Philips is coming soon with new lighting on the market... called SMART LIGHTING and is based on this PLC-bus... PLC-Bus is already tested for several years and now ready to be launched as the new industrial standard for home automation & networking...

Personal I don't trust UPB... they call them self the leader for remote lighting control.... yeh right... X-10 is still the most used protocol for Home Automation worldwide... okay that is there marketing strategy... compare your systems with a old technology of 30 years ago.... but if I read there website and the technical documents I get the all time different specifications.... 62.500 or 64.000 addresses.... 480 or 240 bits.... 4 or 6 signals per second... 40 or

100 times faster then X10 ( yeh right, I need to wait 50 seconds for my light goes on? ).... compare UPB with the modern systems from the last 2 years like PLC-Bus, Z-Wave, S10, X-10 II... and you will see a lot in common.... so UPB is just the next clone of X-10 only with the arrogancy that they have THE system..... only the advantage other systems that they are compatible with X-10.... UPB not....

my 2 cents...

Dave Houst> I finally found the download link.

Reply to
Jack Lah

Jack, what home controller do you use? Can you give me the ATS homepage, I'd like to learn further about their invention.

Rgds, Jo

Reply to
Jo

Could you also give the URL for Philips Smart Lighting that uses PLCBUS techonology? I need to get further information and google did not seem to return usefull information regarding this.

Rgds, Jo

Reply to
Jo

My friends,

The home automation registered standards in Europe are:

Konnex and LonWorks!

All the other systems around are proprietary ones or are not industry standards recognized as such.

Jo wrote:

Reply to
Konnexman

"Konnexman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I was looking for Jack's response actually. Because he seems to have all the informations regarding the PLCBUS.

But now I got your message that PLCBUS is not (yet) the standard for home automation in Europe.

Reply to
Jo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.