New Smarthome Appliance Module

I have one of those new "wheelless" Smarthome appliance modules. It looses the housecode and/or unit code about once per week. Is this a common problem? Anyone else have this problem?

Reply to
Art Todesco
Loading thread data ...

Send it back. That's not supposed to happen.

Reply to
BruceR

Correct, that is not supposed to happen. But it happens to me occasionally on multiple modules. I suspect it is related to power line glitches or spikes. Do you have any idea what is causing yours to reset?

I spoke with some SmartHome folks at EHExpo >Send it back. That's not supposed to happen.

Reply to
Wayne

During my several attempts to convert 2001STW module, I discovered that sometimes the module "locks" and therefore stay unable to interpret new X10 command. Pressing a short time the switch unlock the module without resetting it. In the observed case, problem was expected to be related to "local control". May be disabling it will solve your problem. You can hardwarly disable it by removing the .22K 250V condensator at the most left side (close to the triac).

I confirm that module could also enter in a "all time blinking" state in noisy line condition. But, on the basis of my experience, they are more reliable than X10 module regarding false triggering.

Hope it helps

Reply to
Thierry PARENT

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Art Todesco

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Art Todesco

I think you are wasting your money. External sources are seldom the culprit.

When you see random 'on' events, are they logged by whatever interface you use? IOW, are there valid X-10 PLC commands on the powerline that could account for the events. If not, the filter is unlikely to help. If there are valid signals, they could be a symptom and not a cause of the event. (e.g.

2-way *Linc modules/switches may be sending them.)

There are other th>I didn't really mean to imply that the whole house

Reply to
Dave Houston

More to Dave's point...

I had a particularly difficult time finding the cause of random "on" events in one room (with SwitchLinc devices). I tried replacing the switch that was going on (the bedroom light -- mostly at night). I even tried a different brand of switch. No X10 events were logged corresponding to the ON's.

Out of ideas, I replaced an older 6-button keypad in the same J-Box as the offending switch with a new 8-button keypad and the problem went away.

I assume something was trickling out of the keypad...

Mitch

Dave Houst> I think you are wasting your money. External sources are seldom the culprit. >

Reply to
Mitch

Right now, everything is working pretty good. However, about 2 or 3 times per year, everything goes nuts. I use HC N. N2 will randomly turn on, maybe 6 times, especially at around dusk. N2 is a wallswitch module. If you manually (from RF transceiver) turn off N2, nothing happens. If you then manually turn off N1, N1 module (appliance module) would go off, but in addition N2 would also go off. Plus, during these few hours, other unit codes were unreachable or would do similar things as described above. .

After a few hours, all was ok. I put a few x10 line filters (Smarthome) on the

2 CF lamps plugged > I think you are wasting your money. External sources are seldom the culprit. >
Reply to
Art Todesco

Reply to
Art Todesco

mine would never work if the sending device was near the module, the exact opposite of yours. It seemed to me that they had a very narrow input signal dynamic range. Not too strong, not to weak, and things worked just fine.

I finally ripped them all out and threw them away...

They never lost their code but they just never responded reliably. Every other x10 module worked just fine except for the smarthome ones.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

Reply to
Art Todesco

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.