Napco HA eprom version

Can anyone tell me how to identify a valid HA enabled eprom for a NAPCO

9600 panel? The one that came in my panel was a version 30b. Another one that I acquired that is supposed to be HA enabled is marked as a version 40b, and has a U marked above it. I thought I read someplace that the eprom had to have a HA written on it someplace, but I can't find any references right now.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
napco newbie
Loading thread data ...

Best person to ask that question of is Mark L. in the ASA (alt.security.alarms) Newsgroup. He's had tons of experience programming all sorts of esoteric panels.

Reply to
Frank Olson

The Napco Gemini P9600 isn't exactly esoteric. It's a popular security controller with an optional HA interface. I carry Napco products and have programmed thousands of them over the years. The Napco "GEM-RS232 Kit" includes the correct chip and the necessary interface hardware. If you need help feel free to contact me.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

It is in my neck of the woods. Around here Ademco, DSC, Caddx, and Paradox rule... Napco isn't all that popular.

Reply to
Frank Olson

The NAPCO has the GEM-AUTO and GEM-RS232. The GEM-AUTO is older and can cause problems with your panel if you hook it up wrong. Get the GEM-RS232 for any home automation systems.

The NAPCO Gemini series it particularly popular among Homeseer users.

Reply to
wpiman

The 40b eprom that I have was supposedly part of a GEM-RS232 kit. I bought it on ebay, and just wanted to make sure it was legit. Something just sticks in my mind that the eprom should have HA written on it - I don't remember where I read that.

My plan is to use Homeseer. I can always just try it and see if it works, but before I went through the hassle, I was hoping someone might know off hand if it is the correct eprom or not, just by the version/markings.

Reply to
napco newbie

One thing to keep in mind is that the HomeSeer plugin was coded against the 20b version of the HA chip, and there are scattered reports of problems with later versions I believe. You should probably go through the HS Napco forum looking for problem reports.

Reply to
Brian W. Antoine

bought it on ebay, and just wanted to make sure it was legit.

Although most dealers are probably legitimate, there are folks who pawn off defective units on eBay. If the chip is wrong or defective, give me a call and I'll help you get it replaced. I'm a Napco dealer and I've installed hundreds of P9600 panels.

on it - I don't remember where I read that.

The earlier ones did say HA on them. That may have changed but I'd have to check to be sure.

works, but before I went through the hassle, I was hoping someone might know off hand if it is the correct eprom or not, just by the version/markings.

HomeSeer is an excellent program. They had some problems with the old,

3rd party plug-in for Napco so they did an in-house version. They're an honorable company. If you run into problems they'll help but tech support could stand to be a bit faster.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Oh?? When did you install your last one??

Reply to
Frank Olson

On 29 Nov 2005 09:13:32 -0800, "napco newbie" wrote (with possible editing):

Just bear in mind that the latest version of Homeseer v2 still has bugs. At least through build 2014, it does not run properly on Windows 2003 server. Installing the .NET 2.0 beta has helped some folks, others have had luck with enabling asp.net as it is not enabled with Windows 2003.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

In answer to your question, I worked on a P9600 system a few weeks ago. While there have been a few tweaks to the firmware, the panel is essentially the same as it was several years ago when I sold my alarm company. Although I no longer install for a living I still help friends and neighbors when asked. Without a Florida license any work I do now is for free. You should try installing sometime, Frank. It's fun learning a new skill.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

It would be nice if Dean Roddey would develop a Napco P9600 driver for the his Charmed Quark app.

How about it, Dean?

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Larry,

connectivity between HS and the Gemini. Matt Buenzow found a good work-around for that using the Log Monitor plugin (Rupp) to restart HS if the connection dies. Others have said that solved the issue for them as well.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Yes... Of course. I work on systems every day (including weekends).

I will actually. I'll try to remember your good advice about installing a door contact in cold weather too. You remember what you said? This was when you suggested adding another splice in the attic right above the door. Excellent advice. I just love crawling in attic spaces about a foot and a half high and troubleshooting a splice some nimrod decided to put there because he didn't think pulling from the control to the contact would minimize the time it took to actually install the contact. Noo-O-ooo. He decided (in his infinite wisdom and many years of installation experience) to run a short six foot length of wire up into the attic, install the contact, then *return* to the attic to splice the wire there. Yep... That's what I call really *excellent* advice, Robert!!! Keep up the good work!!! ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

On 2 Dec 2005 16:53:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote (with possible editing):

Thanks, Robert, but my problem is with HS / HAI and seems to be related to my use of Windows 2003 server more than HAI. Some of the problem has been fixed (by enabling asp.net which is not enabled automatically in W2003), but HS still doesn't work correctly on that server.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Napco does seem to be the most commonly used security system among the comp.home.automation participants and enjoys support in products with which Charmed Quark competes. last I knew, Charmed Quark did not yet support any security system, so this is definite needed next step.

An Aprilaire 8870 (= Enerzone = Statnet) RS-485 communicating thermostat is on its way back to me after Dean added support for it in Charmed Quark.

I'd be pleased as punch to lend him an P9600. (We have an alternate/parallel security system.) ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Well, Dean does support the ELK M1Gold which is an excellent security/fire alarm system as well as a powerful home automation controller. In that light I wouldn't say he doesn't support any security system. Nonetheless, a Napco driver would be an excellent adition to CQC. I suppose I ought to talk to Dean about a dealership for Charmed Quark one of these days. If he adds Napco the my decision will be easier. :^)

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

I'm happy to do a driver if I can get a loaner for a while.

------------------------------------- Dean Roddey Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems

formatting link

Reply to
Dean Roddey

I'll see if I can talk my rep into it, Dean.

Regards, Robert L Bass www.Bass BurglarAlarms.com

Reply to
robertlbass

Actually, that didn't answer my question. "Working on" a system is different from "installing" one. Installing one does have a measure of "working on" in it, but not the other way around. My question was: "When did you *install* your last one"?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.