My cheap multizone/multisource audio solution

Well it's now been 3 weeks since I wallmounted my cheap ($250) Fujitsu 3400 P3-400 PC running XP, hooked into my HTPC, connected to my Denon3805 & a few paraound Zamps, and deployed full multizone/multisource audio capabilities to my house.

Works great. I came here to post a writeup as I keep seeing posts about it, but I realized I can't put images into newsgroups.

Here's the text part of it, both my skin options are on my personal website at

formatting link
writeup with pics of the wallmount is at
formatting link

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wallmount writeup: I got a wood photo frame in from the custom framing shop, and finally wallmounted that $250 Fujitsu stylistic 3400 that I'm going to use as a wifi remote control around the house. Here's the story. It's been up for 3 weeks now, works totally fine. I was afraid of wifi dropouts, but no worries there.

Picture 1: Here's most of the parts; photo frame sawed in half, Fujitsu, sitting on a 1/8" x24"x24" handypanel (basically MDF) from HomeDepot. Only thiing not shown is the foam, velcro, and black permanent magic marker I decided to use at the end to make it a little better.

Picture 2: Here's the thickness of the photo frame. I had to get the deepest frame they had at the frame shop in order to fit the 3400. Good thing I got that extra room - I needed it at the end. Keep reading for why.

Picture 3: Here's the thickness of the handypanel. It's 1/8", pretty dang thing.

I cut the handypanel to the size of the bottom half of the photo frame, and nailed it to the back of the frame.

Picture 4: Here's what it looked like after it was cut & nailed to the frame:

Picture 5: Mounted the handypanel to the wall using screws.

Picture 6: I was initially planning on leaving it like this. [getting an electrician in to punch a hole in the wall & put an A/C outlet in the closet directly behind this wall]

Doesn't look bad; you can pull that A/C cord out and walk around with the tablet.

Alas, wife didn't like the half-frame look. Hence, Picture 7: I put some foam behind the tablet to get it stiff/up against the front part of the frame [remember it was too deep]

Picture 8: Put the top half of the frame there. Used industrial velcro where I cut it, and also to attach to the wall on top so it doesn't fall off. Had to cut out a section on the right side so that wifi card could fit, no biggie. Yes, I know the screen has fingerprints. It's a touchscreen damnit, we've been touching it!

Only thing left is running that A/C cord through the wall to the closet behind it, and all will be invisible.

Et voila! A $250+$50 photo frame + $10 parts, $310 wifi tablet remote control for your HTPC!

Reply to
IVB
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.