IR Learning Translator

All,

I have a TiVO box that does not have the IR code built into control my uVerse Motorola STB. I would like to know if there is a IR box that would take in an IR signal (learned) and output another signal (learned). WHat I mean by this is that I would like to send one signal to the IR box and have it produce another IR signal. I would also like it to be able to learn both signals.

Thanks.

Reply to
marte.palmer
Loading thread data ...

Can this do what you need?

formatting link

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Why not just get the IR codes updated in the Tivo? Ask them about it. That would be a LOT less of a hassle than dealing with IR codes and the latency hassles. Channel changing is bad enough with IR, putting some box inbetween would make it even worse.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Neat device.

Probably one of the most frequent wrong assumptions about IR ports is that those found on PCs (IRDA) can be used to control A/V gear. Pace apparently has muddied that water!

I'm assuming that the reason that Pace NTL/Telewest digital cable set-top box (STB) models 1000, 1010, 2000 and 4000 use the unusual IRDA infra-red signal protocol is so that people could interact with these set-top boxes with their PC's.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
[snip]

Actually, the IrDA spec and most IrDA chipsets have included Consumer IR for several years but there's little or no software that makes use of it and transmit range tends to be minimal requiring stick-on emitters.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Oops! I should have expressed that more clearly! I recall clearly people posting here and expressing surprise when they find out that although there's that little red plastic window on my PC just like their handheld remote, they need extra HW & SW to make it work. That seemed to have stopped most people in their tracks. I imagine the weak output is part of the reason there's not much SW available for laptop IRDA ports. I *am* surprised to learn that both standard are on single chips but I'll bet it's just easier to stock one "does it all" IR chipset.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

It might use the same codes as the "General Instruments" STB.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Austin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.