IP-9258 Remote Power Thingo

I saw one of these on geeks for $64 but it is the 9258T model designed for US/TW/JP according to the manual. The 'S' model is designed for AU/ EU/UK. The local stores that stock these kinds of gizmos in Australia charge at least several hundred for this same unit! Would it be possible to run a 'T' model here without any major dramas or am I gonna come home after my 3 week vacation to find my home burnt to the ground??

TIA!

Reply to
cityofthelivingdead
Loading thread data ...

The USA uses 110-120VAC 60Hz. According to a handy web site, Australia uses 240VAC 50Hz. I expect that if you try using the model designed for the USA in an Australian outlet, it will fail before you get your hand off the module or the switch controlling the outlet. Smoke and fire are optional.

Reply to
Gordon Burditt

Yep, indeed you're spot on. However on this page it says

formatting link
supports from "90-240 V ~ 50/60 Hz" so I would have guessed anywhere between those ranges would of been fine. But I guess I'm mistaken. So some sort of voltage converter or stepdown pack is needed? Alternatively I need to look at maybe a watchdog card or something along those lines. Essentially all I need is something that is reachable through tcp/ip and can "hard reboot" an unresponsive machine. But the ability to use a device like the 9258 to switch on/ off an aircon for example would seem rather nice.

Thanks kindly

Reply to
cityofthelivingdead

I would have guessed that if the module actually had specs that would cover both voltages, there wouldn't BE two different models, one for Australia and one for the USA.

What are the voltage specs for whatever it is you are controlling? Those devices have to handle the power also.

Assuming 'aircon' means air conditioner, be careful, those things tend to be wired in directly and draw more power than an ordinary (for the USA, at least) 15A circuit. They also tend to have an inductive load. I don't see any current ratings on the outlets being controlled, but it's not infinite. You might be able to control the thermostat power to control the air conditioner but with smart thermostats this might cause loss of memory or premature dead batteries in the thermostat.

Reply to
Gordon Burditt

Based on the specs you've quoted it would appear that it will work for you just fine. The difference in the model numbers would relate to the plug that's furnished with it as Aussie plugs differ from N.American plugs. Why do you think your initial assessment of the specs is wrong? Don't let someone else's well meaning guess steer you off track. To get a definitive answer you could call or email the manufacturer. Tell them you already have a US version that you want to use in Oz and ask if all you need to do is change the plug.

Reply to
BruceR

"BruceR" wrote in news:48308aa0$0$30223 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I notice that the regulatory approvals are FCC and CE. An Australian product is likely to nedd or have different approvals.

Interestingly, the web page at

formatting link
this same product. This description claims that the power input and output connectors are international, and that the unit will handle 110 VAC, 240VAC, and 250 VAC. On the other hand, the picture shows USA output connectors. The input connector may be international, but you would have to have the appropriate power cable for conversion from an Australian plug to the international connector.

A data sheet is available at

formatting link
It shows two pictures of the back: The output connectors are different for the 9258T (US) and the 9258S (International). The input connectors look International in both cases, but with a different orientation.

Power cables are listed as optional.

My thanks to the original poster for letting me know about this product. Altavista was my friend in finding out more information.

Reply to
Ian Shef

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.