ICS help please

Hi everyone. Can someone please help with this. I have two identical computers and have Windows 2000 Pro in both. One access's the internet, the other is connected with a xover patch cable and file shares with no problem. Am unable to connect to the internet with second.

DHCP enabled on all 3 nic's. Seems that APIPA is addressing the xover nic's due to not being able to detect dhcp server. Have tried maunally seeting all fields in both comps with same outcome.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

First comp

formatting link
Second
formatting link
Apaptors & Bingings
formatting link

Reply to
denglish48060
Loading thread data ...

DHCP enabled... First

formatting link
formatting link
LAN #2
formatting link

Reply to
denglish48060

Why bother with cross over cables? Get a cheap router and stop diddling around with software connection sharing. Given most SoHo routers are around $30 it's a no-brainer.

Reply to
wkearney99

Love being called a no brainer LOL I am setting it up this way, then once its set up (it should work, shouldn't it?) I will change it over to dial up where I will be using it on the road. I have a box full of wireless cards but just want this set up to work for now. I followed the set up shown in practallynetworked.com and it is so far from helpful, hoping someone here can help. David...

Reply to
denglish48060

Yeah, trying to futz around with PC-to-PC connection sharing is just too much of a pain in the ass to make it worth anyone's time.

Also consider that most SoHo (Small office/Home office) also have wireless models. I've seen them as cheap as $50 (after rebates). Again, a no-brainer. Wireless isn't all it's cracked up to be in many residential situations. Many types of construction (new AND old) tend to block or otherwise degrade the signal strength. For anytime I'm doing serious work that requires full bandwidth between devices I always use a wired link.

The only setup help needed comes with the SoHo boxes. Get one, plug in it's parts and follow it's step-by-step instructions. Then it's just a matter of telling your PCs to use DHCP and rebooting.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.