I like Jeff's XTB so much, I made a logo!

Hello again!

Tell me if you think this is a cool logo idea for the XTB...

formatting link
Tell me if you don't like it too!

Jeff has yet to see it, and he should be asleep at this hour!

Personally I think we should think up a great name for the device. XTB lacks something.

Later!

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin
Loading thread data ...

That's pretty cool! I think though, that I'd make the blue X larger and the TB a little smaller. Just my 2 cents worth (and worth every penny!). Let's see what Jeff thinks.

Reply to
BruceR

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:02:05 -0700, Jack Edin wrote (with possible editing):

Very nice. I agree with Bruce, plus I'd lose the lightning and make the saw teeth go in the other direction.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Reverse size of TB & X, loose the lightning, and find something else for the saw teeth? Overall, pretty creative but asking for opinions on this is like asking what brand motor oil someone uses...

Reply to
JW

and only Jeff's opinion really counts.

That was nice of you (Jack) to make the logo for Jeff. You do have talent for it.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Nice work. If you're looking for ideas, I'd make the X of XTB out of crossed lightning bolts and have it rotate on an axis between the T and B. If you're not, then "nice work" and nevermind!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Like this?

formatting link

Reply to
Jack Edin

That's pretty neat Jack.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Yes, like that. I envisioned the X as larger, though, sort of dividing the circular part of the logo into four quadrants with the T and B in two of the quadrants. I would keep the bolt blue - it looked cool!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I envisioned it the same way - great minds...

Reply to
BruceR

...run in the same deep ruts! (-:

It's great that Jack volunteered his time and effort. Makes CHA feel more collaborative and collegial than it's been of late. Hats off to both Jeff and Jack.

I have to confess that instead of deploying two XTBs at my home and two at my folk's place I've deployed all of them here. I realized if I am going to stay with X-10, I need to have more controllers "boosted" than just one or two. So far, I've identified the bedroom, the home office, the workshop and the PC room as places in need of a boosted unit. I'm sure that I'll decide other areas need the "boost" too. I might have to start practicing my soldering skills . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Hi guys!

Art is subjective indeed.

What I did was another quickie...

I can change the X back to blue... No problems there. I can also have it color shift, etc, etc.

Jeff's not into the lightning, which is too bad 'cause thats what makes it cool!

He's afraid it has negative connotations. I understand that most products that exhibit that behavior (lightning shooting out) are somewhat broken.

The exception being a Plasma Ball, which is the reason to own one! And the center element thingy is often orange, isn't it? Blue's fine... I like blue!

I'm doing this for free, and for fun & practice. So I have a limited amount of time that I'm willing to invest... I spend WAAAY to much time in front of a computer screen for a living. I need time away...

Besides...

I'm trying to convince Jeff to give the product a cool regular name. I had a couple ideas.

Not a "buffer" but an amplifier. So I believe "Booster" would be better, and since he's using brute-force ta git 'er done shouldn't it be "Blaster"...?!??

Then "Transmit" would sound better as "Transmission", IMHO.

So if he keeps it XTB then X10 Transmission Booster, or X10 Transmission Blaster!

Back to the Amplifier idea. What if that were part of the name? XTA...??

More suscintly how about: Power-Data Amplifier... PDA!

I kinda like that one.

Next what is the outcome of this product's use?

I say it's an Extender. In more ways than one...

(Not looking for an argument, so save it) Some would say X10 may be on it's way out due to newer/faster/better devices offered by other manufacturers, etc. If that is the case, Jeff's product will help.

It extends the useful life of X10 products in the market place, and in our homes.

And of course the obvious: It extends the range of reception of X10 commands on our power lines, etc.

So I suggest a cool snappier name for the device be some acceptable spelling or mis-spelling of "Extender."

X-Tendor?

I don't like X-Tender... Kinda makes the mind wander in the wrong direction. ;-)

So as you can see now may NOT be the very best time to re-re-re-work the logo till Jeff has time to think this over.

I believe they're selling like hot-cakes and he's busy soldering all the live-long day.

I know you guys have opinions, lets here 'em..!

And please chop out the stuff that doesn't matter in the replies people...

Can I request that we TOP post too?

;-)

Later!

BruceR wrote:

Reply to
Jack Edin

I can seen why Jeff's not 100% behind a logo with electrical discharges although as an owner of more than one plasma ball, I do think they're neat. I nearly bought one of the flat circular green ones that they used on Star Trek in as part of the Borg ships, but decided two balls was enough!

Yes, and at least this CHA'er appreciates your donation, which is why I've been trying to offer a positive critique. I really like the 3 dimensional effect of the circular silver band. You'll get it exactly right, I'm sure, given some more time and feedback. Instead of the lightning, maybe you could use one of the NASA telescope shots of nebulae and galaxies to make it seem as if the XTB can communicate over *very* long distance. That would retain the nice color effect that the branched lightning gives without implying that huge electrical sparks will soon be shooting from your home wiring!

Creative Labs probably owns every "Blaster" permutation there is, but I like it better than buffer and even better than booster because that's what it is: a blaster. It's a common term in the IR world to denote a much more than powerful IR signal so it's probably the most appropriate.

I like that the best. Says what it is, does what it says.

Amplifier sounds too home theater oriented.

Too confusing with the other item. XTB's got a nice flow to it and it's easy to type. I think you had it right the first time.

Yes, I agree that it does extend the useful life of X-10 but there are some problems with that word.

Yeah, that's what I mean by "problems." He'll get orders from guys looking to improve their love life, not their X-10 signal range:

Dear Mr. Volp.

I done plugg'd your X-tendor dee-vice into my back outlet but the wife says she don't see no changes.

Cletus

XTB is the winner, I think, with your rewording to X-10 Transmission Booster or Blaster. Now all we have to do is get the device's creator, Jeff, to agree!

Yes, and I'd encourage people to buy the assembled version for a few reasons. The most important are that Jeff's got experience building them, is a remarkable solderer and undoubtedly would create a better finished product than all but the best kit builders out there. I am pretty sure he also makes more $ selling assembled units than kits. Buying them assembled is just one way to support his efforts and encourage him to design other equally brilliant devices.

That's my 2 cents!

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool in-line poster. Bad short term memory I'm afraid. :-)

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

The prototype PCB was called: "PSC05_Booster". I had intended to use the word Booster untill I ran across the BoosterLinc, and wanted to avoid any infringement issues. This project was originally planned to boost the output of a TW523/PSC05 so a high end controller could reach all areas of a house. Obviously, it can help any X10 transmitter, so that's where XTB came from. If there is some way to verify there would be no infringement issues, then Booster it will be.

Not quite hot cakes, but I just sent in another round of part orders. Let's just say it's been keeping me busy.

I appreciate those who buy the assembled units from me. But, considering the time it takes, those people are getting a pretty good deal. The kits are priced at what the items would have cost in small quantity. My profit on kits is from buying in larger quantities, and accepting the risk of being stuck with inventory. The total sales to date have just about paid for my current inventory.

There has been some interest in a 240V version, and a kit is on the way to Europe for evaluation. I'm trying to revise the artwork enough to allow those higher voltage capacitors to fit directly onto the board. Unfortunately, there just isn't much room to work with. While I'm at it, I can also change the artwork to read "Booster".

Thank all of you for your support. There are several other products in this area I hope to bring out in the coming months.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

So it looks like we've settled on XTB, whatever the words.

That makes it easier to work on the logo again!

Some suggestions were made:

Done!

formatting link
> I envisioned the X as larger, though, sort of dividing the circular > part of the logo into four quadrants with the T and B in two of the > quadrants.

Like THIS?

formatting link
>> Jeff's not into the lightning, which is too bad 'cause thats >> what makes it cool! >>

So lose the lightning? Okay...

And Jeff told me he wanted a small sine wave going in, and a larger one coming out.

Your wish is my command...

formatting link
Some people liked the oval, so I gave that a try. Behold:

formatting link
What about the color of the T & B...? If you don't like the green, maybe you'd like purple?

formatting link
I'm going to bed!

Hope I'm getting closer...

Good night!

Jeff Volp wrote:

Happy to help!

Great!

I look forward to them.

Reply to
Jack Edin

Jack Edin wrote in news:juudnR2A2a0LQxLZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

How about the red that you used for the x in ver7? Actually, I think I like the gray/silver better. Also, I like the stationary x from ver6 more than the rocking lightening bolt version. I'm not sure if there's a good way to pull this off with the ring & the sine wave, but I think it would make more sense to have the TB together after the x. As it is the XTB looks more like a TXB.

I know, too many opinions.. but hey, whaddya expect in a newsgroup? :)

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Those last couple are real nice Jack.

Thanks for your creative work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

My vote is for Version 11 with the lightning like in ver 9. I really like the waveform graphic - tells you just what it does at a glance.

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.