Connecting pc to real world

I'm in the early stages of planning a HA system for a house we're going to build in about 2 years. I'm a DIY kinda guy and am planning to use a touchscreen pc to control security, heating/cooling, solar water heating, landscape watering etc. We're not real big on audio/video, so probably won't have any of that integrated into the system. Writing the code to control everything is within my abilities. My question is how does the pc communicate with the real world. The touch screen that I'll be using has a USB port and a serial port. How exactly do I connect the various sensors, both contact closure and analog to the pc and how do I connect the pc to the various pumps, valves and external systems to be controlled? I presume some sort of I/O device that plugs into either the serial or USB port and provides X number of 'channels', but I've googled around and haven't come up with anything. I'm looking at perhaps 100 input and half that number of output channels. How do you guys do it? TIA Paul

Reply to
Paul in Redland
Loading thread data ...

USB is rather limited as far as distance. After about 12' you need a repeater.

Your best bet is serial. I would recommend converting the serial to RS485. You can then find lots of devices that can daisy-chain on the RS485 bus. There are also ways to expand a single RS232 port to handle a lot of I/O. A few places to visit to get an idea of what's available...

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Have you c>I'm in the early stages of planning a HA system for a house we're going to

Reply to
Dave Houston

One way is to use cat.5 ethernet cable or telephone cable then connect many mcu's in a one-wire communication in a open-collector setup. Use spare pair for power.

Reply to
pbdelete

Probably the easiest way to connect your computer/house to the world is through web based applications. You could use the Apache web server, or ready made products like HomeSeer for the server side. I/O on the computer seems now to be mostly via a serial port (or USB to serial adapter, search ebay for edgeport and similar adapters). Below is an inexpensive serial I/O board you could get to start experimenting with.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.