Help out a Crestron newbie please!

Hi, all! Okay, here's my situation ... We have a Crestron programmer who has decided to leave the country and now we're stuck. I've got all this Crestron equipment -- touch-screens, wired, wireless, etc., and a lot of programming that's already been done... but it's not finished. Some buttons turn on/off some TVs, change the channels, blah blah etc etc... typical stuff. Now, here's the kicker -- I need to learn this stuff and take over the project. My background is in serious programming. I have a formal CS degree and worked with every language from Assembly to .NET. I'm a very good programmer and engineer, but what I don't know is anything about Crestron programming, and I find very little resources out there. I need to learn this, and learn it quick. I've done lots of automation with digital I/O units and various other serial I/O and what-not, and from the crappy stuff that I see this person created, I can't imagine this is too difficult. My question is -- how to begin? What's the language? Where are the resources? Compilers? A book or two would be nice? Can someone recommend where to begin? He left me with all the "password codes" to the units themselves, which I presume are used to load the software, but what do I use to edit it and define the I/O points, etc? If someone could steer me in the right direction, I would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, guys.

Reply to
geekboy0001
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

Philadelphia attorneys working for Crestron once threatened by letter to sue me for using the ECOntrol.org domain.

A primary competitor

formatting link
is now gleefully pointing out that AMX *is* suing "CRESTRON?S EXCLUSIVE MDU PARTNERS [] FOR RACKETEERING AND THEFT OF TRADE SECRETS"
formatting link
Crestron's seems to be a mostly closed universe, but there is a Crestron google group with 15 posts since December 2004 in it ;-)
formatting link
We wish you luck.

(What a coincidence! -- no mention of Crestron in this news group for months/years? -- until yesterday and now this post today ?-)

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

That's probably Google's email notification service at work. They offer to send you emails if they find your search term in the daily Usenet posts.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

there are many Crestron folks over at

formatting link

Reply to
So'n'so

Right or simply a Google search.

Shows the potential of an expansion of comp.home.automation into comp.home.automation.crestron, comp.home.automation.x10, comp.home.automation.architecture, comp.home.automation.AI etc.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.