Antenna questions, please help newbie, TIA!

My brother lives behind us approx. 500 feet. I would like to know if I put a 15db gain Comet fiberglass antenna on my roof would I have a better connection to his router than I would with an indoor antenna? Does anyone have antenna suggestions for me? Thanks, I am new and would appreciate some advise.

Reply to
carleeniet
Loading thread data ...

Do you have line of sight ?

Reply to
atec77'

Yes, line of sight although his router is indoors.

Reply to
®©®

"Indoors" doesn't really answer the question. Unless you mean you can literally see his router's antenna from location of yours.

What is in the line-of-sight? Masonry, 3 interior walls, foil insulation, metal siding, single pane of glass, what? Does he have a directional antenna? Oriented how?

J
Reply to
barry

my bi-quad is almost 14db and i can hit a cheapo ap over a mile away with perfect LOS.

There are a few non LOS ap's on the next block i can only hit when in the right spot. Standing on the roof made the signal unstable but the bottom right hand corner was perfect for 1.

If u got perfect LOS maybe just a cantenna would be fine..

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

We are both in stucco houses and his router is on a desk in a bedroom. What would happen if I installed a 15db gain vertical whip antenna? It would have to work better than my rubber ducky on a Senoa card right?

Reply to
®©®

On 18 Apr 2007 21:54:48 GMT, ®©®@©.®©® wrote in :

Mush depends on how many walls are between you, and what's in those walls.

Not necessarily -- that high a gain omni would be difficult to aim and keep aimed. Consider instead a directional antenna.

Reply to
John Navas

Stucco might be bad because of the wire mesh used to hold the stucco. But line of sight isn't necessarily the path taken by RF. I get better signal through some non-aligned windows than direct line of site through walls.

A 15dBi "omni" antenna would be a bad thing for this application. You start out with "i", a single point of an antenna, radiating evenly in all directions, a round balloon of RF. Then you squish it, giving a donut shape, still the same volume of RF, but sticking out about 2dBi father, but not as tall, in a typical rubber duckie stock antenna.

Squish it really flat, and it's a larger plate, still the same volume, reaching much farther out to each point on a circle, but not very tall at all. That might be 15dBi gain to the edges of the plate, but it's a thin plate, hard to aim, and you are throwing a lot of energy out in unneeded portions of that circle.

Take the same balloon of RF, and squeeze it into an open book, angling the cover of the book at 90 degrees, and you get a directional antenna, sticking out 10dBi in the direction that you want, and a taller vertical radiation pattern. A directional antenna of moderate gain will be easier to keep on target than a high gain omni.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable. Free, easy to build (make the tabs longer than indicated), and you can check out the effect of directional antennas without investing a lot of time or money. Depending on the results, you might want higher gain antennas, or locate antennas outdoors, or in a window, or give up altogether.

I have also used the "Hawking HAI6SDA Directional 6dBi 2.4GHz Antenna" with good success on a Netgear WG311 PCI card. $20-30.

The one I bought fit the Netgear, and had an adapter that fit RP-TNC.

Reply to
dold

Hoyou aim an omni?

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:16:36 +0100, "Forster Tuncurry" wrote in :

A high-gain omni has a pattern like a horizontal frisbie, so vertical aiming becomes critical.

p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread

-- it makes the thread confusing and hard to follow. Thanks.

Reply to
John Navas

I have noticed users with low signal when above or to low of a 15 db but at a distance i didn't find it too harsh. From level 3 (level with the antenna) signal was perfect and at level 20 the signal was low but stable and usable. In the next town over level 24 was good signal and level 3 perfect again. The donut is squashed but not to a unusable fine point. There are lower gain antennas on the market if u want a different donut.

J.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.