EIB / Gira Information Needed

Greetings,

This is my first post in this group, I'll try to be as brief as possible.

We are AV integrators here in Ca... we have come accross a few whole- house EIB systems being installed by a startup company run by a couple guys from Germany. They use Gira products exclusively and focus mainly on lighting control.

This is our situation...

Our installations consist of mainly high-end Crestron systems. The challenge we are facing is integrating the lighting control with the Crestron processor, essentially marrying the two platforms so the Client can enjoy whole-house control from installed interfaces and remotes.

We have sat in on numeous meetings with these guys installing the Gira equipment, I have repeatedly asked for clarification on how to control their gear. All we get is empty hype with no real content-- these guys I believe do not actually know the answers. They bring a programmer in from Germany to set up their installations. We have talked with the programmer but the cultural and language barriers make it difficult to absorb anything useful.

I know we can use RS232, IR and ethernet protocols to communicate with the EIB stuff, however what we need is the code and code/logic structure, basically some sort of tutorial to get us moving in the right direction. I would like to find a download (English) of the programming software to at least familliarize myself with the programming logic.

We aren't looking to mess with the Gira guys, simply to help our Clients. Virtually ALL of the Clients that have contracted with these Gira guys have been left with long punchlists of problems and systems nobody can program except. One Client has a new 9000 sq ft home utilizing Gira lighting/HVAC/cameras/intercoms/bio-entry/etc. and nothing but the lighting works. We installed the AV system but cannot help him with the Gira stuff because we cannot get answers. His is preparing a lawsuit as a result of this disaster.

My questions here are,

Where can we find a good tutorial to help us understand the EIB platform?

where do we start as far as getting information on the workings of this Gira equipment?

Where can we get the programming info we need to control it with Crestron (or PC)?

Where can we download an English Gira catalog for product descriptions?

All this I would say is vital for us (and our Clients) at this point. Any help here would be fantastic. We would certainly reciprocate in any way we can.

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
Bugga
Loading thread data ...

I think EIB has been subsumed into KNX. Try...

http://www.k>Greetings,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Dave Houston

I've learned how to handle the stuff at first by reading a (dutch) course about ETS v2 and by using the ETS starter edition. Since that one is really limited, I moved on to ETS Pro. This stuff you basically need to program the devices.

formatting link
Since then I've found some documents that explain about the protocol. There is a lot of information available on EIB, but not very well strutured I have to say. There are official docs, but they are not (all) for free.

Personnally I use a BCU2 (FT1.2 protocol) to connect to the EIB bus and I use a home brewn variant of leibnix and eibd to talk to my EIB components.

formatting link
Eddy

"Bugga" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
me

Interesting... thanks. This appears to be very challenging with the language/culture barrier. I was able to find a Crestron device to control the EIB gear through RS232 from Crestron International in Belgium. The part number is CB-EIB. I also received a SIMPL module as well. I prefer not to purchase programming software as my intention is not to actually program EIB systems, rather learn about the architecture and logic to facillitate the Crestron/EIB communication. A manual or programming guide of some sort would be helpful if it exists.

-bugga

components.http://www.leibnix.de/https://www.auto.tuwien.ac.at/~mkoegler/index.php/eibd>

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Bugga

Hi!

I know that the people from Berker

formatting link
have integrated Creston with konnex.

Try to talk with their hotline. I'm sure they will help you. " snipped-for-privacy@berker.com"

Reply to
Konnexman

Most Siemens PLCs including Logo! speak variants of EIB/KNX, so you may find details over Siemens website.

Reply to
Il Ministro

Il Ministro escreveu:

Correction, Siemens PLCs have interfaces to speak KNX. There are no such things as "variants".

EIB/KNX is the only Open Standard for Building Automation.

It is a ISO Standard.

Reply to
Konnexman

I'm being told by the German installer that only the basic functions can be controlled (such as light ON/OFF) using a Crestron processor and an CG-EIB. He says he uses TwinCAT software to complete the programming after assigning the addresses in ETS. He also says that by running TwinCAT on a PC he can also send the "values", that would be lost otherwise.

Since I'm just learning the concept of EIB this may be trivial to you, however we want to be sure the CG-EIB and related Crestron module will work in ALL scenarios.

Any ideas on this?

bugga

Reply to
Bugga

I'v never worked with Crestron in an instalation, but it seems to control much more than that (basic on/off).

On the web site of Creston, they say:

"Controls and visualises of 1 Bit, 4 Bit, 1 Byte and 2 Byte values of EIB-bus modules."

1 bit = on/off 4 Bit - open close shutters 1 Byte - scenarios, brightness, analog 2 Byte = temperature control

In a normal knx interface, you don't have to worry too much with those infos (1 bit, etc), because the software will present you with a description of what they mean, and will only let you interface the correct values.

Reply to
Konnexman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.