Does anybody make a Wall Mount for PDAs?

Hi gang!

I have a few Dell Axim x50v PDA devices I want to use around the house for various home automation tasks.

These have a bright, clear VGA (640 x 480) display with a touchscreen - and 802.11, Bluetooth, etc.

Compared to other specialized touchscreen solutions, a PDA is a poor man's alternative.

Elk Products just came out with software (ElkRM) that can control their mighty M1, and it works on a VGA PDA!

Another fine PDA software application is from Rudeo, and with it one can control a computer's Media Player. It works very well, in real-time too!

I need a way to mount (and power) a PDA onto a wall.

I would like to be able to push-in, and pop-out the PDA to take it portable...

I expect to have to run power to it inside the wall, and a small whole will be necessary for the cable.

Otherwise a surface-mount would not require a big hole, where a flush-mount probably would. Sheetrock's cheap, right?!!

Anybody seen anything that'll work?

I've seen vehicle windshield mounts, on a flexible gooseneck... Not ideal...

Thanks,

Jack ;-)

P.S.

Mister Bass - don't comment on my mention of any of the above hardware or software. I don't work for any of the companies involved, nor do I profit in any way by their mention.

I know you can't say the same. I see you plug products all the time.

Reply to
Jack Edin
Loading thread data ...

You're welcome to mention any HA related hardware or software you like. Where you work or whether you profit from mentioning it is not an issue. The content of the post is what matters -- not your motivation for posting it.

In fact, I was about to thank you for mentioning the new ELK software. I haven't added it to my website yet but I will as soon as ELK tells me it's available for distribution.

I take exception to the implication that because I sell ELK Products my comments are unwelcome. This newsgroup is about home automation. It's not about non-profit home automation.

I mention my online store in my posts because that's how I support my family... selling home automation and security systems. I also try to contribute useful information on the subject. Some folks believe that what I contribute here is worth reading. If you don't you can choose to ignore my posts or even filter me. What you can't do is tell me (or anyone else, for that matter) what to say or which threads to join. C' est le Usenet, eh?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have no idea where you get this stuff from, Robert. Once again, you twist the facts. Where has anyone here ever said your "comments are unwelcome"? What is unwelcome is the 3 meg files you upload to alt.security.alarms and spam us with. What is unwelcome is your blatant disregard for even this Group's FAQ. Advertising and "PR" posts aren't welcome here (or in ASA).

No one disputes the fact that you have to support your family. There are ways to do it that don't involve spamming a Newsgroup because the people there happen to despise you. It would also be helpful if you would limit your responses to include more appropriate links to the information requested instead of a web page with a "buy now" button and a meager description of the product or service.

Your efforts are to be commended.

It is.

Nor is it up to one individual to threaten a Group with more spam unless they stop posting "vitriol". I've stopped several weeks ago, yet you still post flames. When are you going to smell the coffee?? :-)

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hi Jack:

There are a number of off-the-shelf solutions that would fit your application. I'd suggest a proper metal enclosure that you can flush mount that's large enough to house the PDA, and provide the necessary knock-outs for the wiring you're going to require. It doesn't matter how deep the box is, as there are many hobby solutions out there that will "stand-off" the unit and still provide a rigid enough backing. You can then "frame" the PDA with a brushed aluminum or stainless steel plate (or cut a piece of plastic to fit). Keep it in place with some velcro attached to the back (not enough to make it difficult to remove though).

Good luck!

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cripes Frank, crawl back into your hole.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Does a "Winnebago" count?? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Velcro with sticky back tape.

Reply to
Seeker

My previous response inadequately addressed your statement.

Bill. What am I supposed to do?? Allow someone I've never met to continuously attack me even after I've clearly demonstrated that I'm not on the field anymore? Surely to goodness I have the *right* to correct misinformation about *me*, or at least question the veracity of what is written about me, do I not? Or perhaps you feel that my transgressions here have abrogated any rights I have (I'm sure you're not the only one that feels that way).

An apology for my posting Robert's "PR" and "HTML" messages into the Group is, I believe, in order. It is given without reservation or condition (my ISP didn't put me up to it either).

I won't ignore or plonk Robert. I will respond to things he says about me that are misleading, untrue, or derogatory as I'm sure you would. (I know you probably wouldn't get yourself into such a position in the first place but we all can't be perfect now, can we?) :-)

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Why do you care? You never met Robert Bass, you probably never will, you probably never met anyone on the group, you're not in the business any more. I don't see why you care? If it bothers you so much turn off your computer and go outside and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. Robert Bass isn't in your back yard. Nothing anybody says on here affects you at all, other than to make you and Robert post insults back and forth which accomplishes nothing other than to annoy people like me that lurk here trying to learn something from the people that post useful information. Having to wade through your personal arguments gets old, fast.

I was hoping when that idiot Group Moderator or whatever he was going by last faded out that would stop this crap. Apparently I was mistaken.

I won't respond further to any of these personal diatribes. I don't want to contribute to the crapola.

Matt

Reply to
md

Whoa, pardner. I'm very much *in* the business. I put the tools on every day. I enjoy it immensely (including the attic work)...

But that's the point. I've stopped posting personal insults. I'm really sure that if someone called you a liar, or was libeling you, you wouldn't "turn off your computer, go outside and enjoy the sunshine". I participate in ASA because I enjoy the "camaraderie" of my peers and sharing my knowledge. I participate here because home automation interests me and every once in a while I can share my knowledge. You're telling me that if someone starts abusing me in a public forum, I should let them drive me away?? C'mon, Matt. That isn't going to happen. What is going to happen is that I will respond but just not in kind anymore.

Unfortunately for all of us, he's back (along with several multiple personalities).

I won't either. I just wanted to straighten you out on a few things. Consider the subject closed.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I would've thought "crawl back in your hole" effectively described it.

And all the while you play your hide in plain sight games?

Oh please, stop with the pathetic attempt to feign innocence.

And you certainly prove that point every time you post.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Bill Kearney posted more unnecessary flames:

What part of "consider the subject closed" don't you understand?

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Guys, guys...!

Rename the freakin thread, would ya... Sheesh!

Dave Houston pointed me to a site that makes a PDA mount. Not at all what I'm looking for, but HE tried...

Thanks Dave!

Another suggested sticky-backed Velcro. He's thinkin!

All the rest is unrelated Robert Bass/Frank Olsen stuff...!!

Please!

I actually NEED a PDA wall mount... Still.

Jack :)

P.S.

I know I mentioned Mister Bass first, because he attacked me for mentioning a cool product one day. The Pepper Pad...

Well e-x-c-u-s-e me!

My interest is in Home Automation - not this pissing contest between these two.

Can we just close this argument?

Frank Ols> Bill Kearney posted more unnecessary flames:

Reply to
Jack Edin

Consider it closed. Look at my first post to your thread.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I got in late on this thread and then ended up spending a good bit of time learning how to construct a killfile (so from that standpoint, this has been a *great* thread).

I finally went back and read the original posting. Interesting - I also have a Dell Axim (not sure about the model number - it's a couple of years old but it does have the wireless Ethernet) and I am also using it as a handheld remote for my HA system. I never thought about trying to wall mount it; it normally sits in the cradle on a table in the living room when not in use. That way it is continuously charged when I take it with me elsewhere in the house. That has seemed to work pretty well for me - I'm curious why the attraction to mount it to the wall?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Harper

So "evil cats" won't whack it off the table?? :-)

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Just to clarify, all the rest is Olson stuff. I'd appreciate not being held responsible for his actions when he and the rest of the ASA folks posts flames in response to on-topic posts I make.

Fair enough?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In-wall just seems cooler...

I want to have on in the Master bedroom, near the door - on the wall, for example.

It will serve as an alarm keypad first. It will control whole-house audio, so if I want music I'll switch it's mode... Did you look at Rudeo?

As a web browser I can control Mister House, and other web-based HA...

I can also view my webcams, etc.

A nice color LCD screen on/in the wall can only be a good thing.

YES it will be in a cradle, charged and ready... And it WILL be removable.

I want to do something like take the PDA, in it's base, turn it sideways (landscape mode for WM5) and stick it in the wall.

Further I want a tilt mechanism to swing from flush to the wall to sticking out a couple of inches. Enough to be able to grab it easily...

And it should be spring loaded...

And it should latch in...

Remember glass-door stereo cabinets> You push the door in, and then it pops-out a bit. THEN you pull it open... Remember? And the latch had a magnet, etc.

Kinda like THAT...

The thing IS the Axim's base is too deep. It allows a spare battery to charge in it's base. Thats why it is so deep.

So I'm thinking an aftermarket mount, modified as needed. Maybe a car mount?

Maybe I can make it look even better on the wall in a frame? I was thinking maybe a small metal picture frame's face as a bezel around the PDA...

It could hid the otherwise visible part of the base, perhaps.

Any mechanical engineers lurking in this group?

Who AM I gonna call?

;-)

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin

I wasn't aware of Rudeo (although I just checked - looks interesting). I do a lot of scripting at work so it was fairly easy to roll my own software interface for the Axim. Currently it controls a hardware interface I designed some time back to the Channel Plus MDS-6 whole house audio. As I have time, I'm expanding it to communicate with and control my HAI stuff.

Afraid I can't come up with any easy answers. I did a quick Google and came up with

formatting link
They have a wall mount for a PDA like device but it's not really what you are describing. Might give you some ideas though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Harper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.