anyone know when x10 could first set the codes electronically?

any idea when x10 or variant got the ability to set the house/station code electronically, and not have to use the wheel?

im looking for name/model of the earliest device, along with any owners manuals etc. for same.

thanks,

mark

Reply to
Mark G.
Loading thread data ...

Transmitter or receiver? There are multiple types of X10 devices with "electronically" settable house/unit codes. Why do you care?

Reply to
Jack Ak

IIRC, for receivers at least, Leviton was first about 5 or 6 years ago. Smarthome came out with them at about the same time.

Reply to
BruceR

receiver.

Reply to
Mark G.

thanks for the lead; thats very helpful.

any idea where i can get a owners manual/pdf? im looking for something with a date on it.

mark

Reply to
Mark G.

Why, trolling for prior art in a patent case?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I have been using X10 LM-15 Screw-In Lamp Modules for a number of years. This unit "listens" for a few seconds when "turned on" and "learns" whatever house/unit code it "hears".

The instruction sheet for one I have is dated 11/98. That doesn't necessarily indicate an original release date.

I doubt this is the first X10 item to have no house/unit code setting wheels.

Reply to
Jack Ak

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

When did the socket rocket come out? I'm thinking it was around at least as far back as 1998. And didn't PCS have a no-dial switch in 1997?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I thought things like the "socket rocket" have been around at least since

1998. The X-10 handheld MBR remotes set the housecodes electronically - they've been around for quite some time. My instruction booklet file shows the remotes existed at least as early as May 1999. IIRC, there's no code wheel on the CM11A and that's been around since 1998, at least according to a file sort by date in my X-10 online files. I'm not sure exactly what the OP wants to track:

1) first non-codewheel unit

2) proximity programming via Maxi console - as in the socket rocket 3) programming via button press sequence (like the EagleEye PIR transmitters).

I dimly recall a Bearcat 101 scanner that had sixteen lever switches in front that allowed you to set frequencies electronically by translating the binary numbers you entered via switch position. That's got to be at least

20 years old, maybe even 30. There's doubtless loads of prior art on electronic code selection, probably going back to the famous cryptographic machines of WWII.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I think you're right about the socket rocket. That was probably the first one. Leviton followed up after that.

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.