What FireWall to run?

I'm sure that this has been beaten to death on this group but.....

I've run the free version of ZoneAlarm for more years than I can remember. The last build however has played hell with both PC's here. I run Mozilla suite, XP-Home and I have not loaded SP-2 on either PC's. I constantly have to shut down ZoneAlarm in order to access the Web. I've recently un-installed it and am currently running the last free version of Kerio

2.1.5 which I really do not have much knowledge of.

Any suggestions other than ZoneAlarm for a free firewall that will handle both outgoing and incoming traffic? I did try the latest build of Kerio and it slowed my internet down by approx. 60%.

Thanks for any guidance given.

Reply to
Italy Anonymous Remailer
Loading thread data ...

Italy Anonymous Remailer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.poster:

You can use IPsec in conjunction with XP's PFW solution and you can stop all the inbound and outbound traffic you want with IPsec.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If it cause that much drain on your system then you're going to have problems with anything that works.

Get a simple NAT Router.

Reply to
Leythos

Windows XP built-in firewall plus an anti-spyware application (MS' AntiSpyware works great)

Reply to
Wayne

Thank you for the responces.

Reply to
Italy Anonymous Remailer

"Wayne" wrote in news:d68i6l$nrr$ snipped-for-privacy@domitilla.aioe.org:

A friend of mine says the built-in XP firewall fails the basic security leak test:

formatting link
which I found highly alarming!

Kind regards

-- encoderX -

formatting link

Reply to
encoderX

The leaktest is designed to test 'internal extrusion' as opposed to 'external intrusion'^1 -- the XP 'firewall' or ICF is designed^2 to monitor external intrusion. You would need a software internal extrusion defense such as ZoneAlarm to pass the leaktest.

MS AntiSpyware^3 is a spyware detector and remover, it isn't an internal extrusion defense either and also would not help with the leaktest.

^1

formatting link
What's Wrong With Some Firewalls? ^2
formatting link
Windows Firewall ^3
formatting link
Windows AntiSpyware (Beta): Overview

Reply to
Mike Easter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.