Outpost/Win95 conflict

In Message-ID: posted on Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:04:53 -0330, David Dalton wrote: Begin

Look for a reference to that dll in your registry run services key and delete it. Sounds like an automatic update "feature" you might be better off without.

Start - Run - [regedit] - Edit - Find - [aupdate.dll] - Enter after you delete the first instance, F-3 for any more.

Reply to
Bart Bailey
Loading thread data ...

In Message-ID: posted on Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:30:54 -0330, David Dalton wrote: Begin

I have Zone Alarm free on my 95b machine, and also had it here (98se) until I went to the Computer Associates version of it v4.5. ZA works fine on 95b, but it won't automatically install if your Internet Explorer has been eradicated, so you have to extract to a folder, create a shortcut and go from there.

Reply to
Bart Bailey

In Message-ID: posted on Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:17:58 -0330, David Dalton wrote: Begin

About as cheap as it gets:

formatting link

Reply to
Bart Bailey

A while ago when I asked about firewalls for Windows 95, Duane Arnold replied:

Kerio 2.15, Outpost, ZA, and Sygate all have free versions that I would > think would run on any Win 9'x O/S. > You'll have to try them and pick the one that best meets your needs.

Kerio 2.15 (or is it Kerio 2.1.5?) doesn't support Windows 95.

Then I tried Outpost 1.0/FREE and that installed fine but now there are some problems so I figured I would ask here (since there is no tech support for FREE) in case some of you experienced the same problems a few years ago.

First it starts up fine on Windows startup but then complains about a missing DLL file aupdate.dll but then seems to run fine without it.

Then, the main problem is that when shutting down Windows 95, three out of four times it hangs and thus the next time Windows 95 is started scandisk must be run, and my niece is getting pissed off at me for installing the firewall now (but it has reduced the incidence of inserted supposed typos by hackers a lot).

The one time in four it does shut down there is a an error, repeated twice of the form "this program has done an illegal operation and will be shut down, and you have to click on Close twice to get Windows to shut down".

But the Outpost web site says Outpost FREE does support Windows 95 which their commercial version does not.

So anyway I was wondering if any of you had come across that problem before and knew of a solution. If not I will uninstall it next weekend and may then try ZA or Sygate as Duane suggests, or do a web search for Windows 95 firewall, perhaps.

David

Reply to
David Dalton

Anybody want to comment on Windows 95 use of ZA, Sygate, or any of the products listed on

formatting link

DD

Reply to
David Dalton

But the Windows Sockets Update is no longer available at download.com where that thread points to so I found an alternate download site at

formatting link
am downloading it now and will report back here in a followup later.

David

Reply to
David Dalton

Yes, especially since the new updated version of Outpost does not support Windows 95 so I would be ill advised to update to it and don't need the automatic notice asking me if I want to update.

I did that but it didn't solve the shutdown problem so there were two different problems I guess. I think this box has basic Windows 95 except I have installed some MicroSoft Security patches a while ago.

David

Reply to
David Dalton

It solved the missing aupdate.dll problem but not the problems with hanging on shutting down and thus requiring scandisk to run on next startup. Thus there appear to be two separate problems I guess, and the aupdate.dll problem is unrelated to the shutting down problems. I think this box is running basic Windows 95 (probably second release) except I installed some Windows Security Patches a few months ago. Obviously I would get a newer box except I am poor currently and only need it for an hour a day at most of e-mail and newsgroup access and a bit of html editing with a text editor on occasion. Also it is my niece's second box, she has an XP machine out of town and uses this one only on weekends for hotmail and MSN Chat.

If I can't solve the problem with shutting down I will uninstall Outpost FREE and try something else, maybe even a cheap commercial version (though these commercial versions do not state up front they do not run with Windows 95 so if you download one and find it does not then you have to apply for a refund as I did with Kerio), by the weekend.

Thanks for your advice, those who have replied so far.

David

Reply to
David Dalton

Regardless of which firewall app you have, get in the habit of telling windows to shutdown to the dos prompt.

If/when it does that successfully, use the power switch to turn it off.

No more auto-scandisk as windows thinks it was shutdown gracefully.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Dare I ask why Win95?

Reply to
fyrfaktry

see thread here...

formatting link

Reply to
bassbag

Maybe a long shot but check whether you have a process called winmgmt.exe starting up (using msconfig).I experienced no end of bad shutdowns fatal exceptions etc with this running on my 98 and intially thought it was the latest version of outpost as the cause.Im not familiar with 95 so not sure about any shutdown issues though there was some with

98 and a patch made available at windows update site me
Reply to
bassbag

Actually check by doing a control +alt+delete or uses a process manager as i dont believe it does show in msconfig me

Reply to
bassbag

IIRC the final and free version of AtGuard ran quite well on Win95.

regards, Joe

Reply to
Jimmy Joe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.