Zebedee setup through a firewall

Here is my issue I usually run a support application which is a customized version of UltraVNC server. It launches from a client machine and attempts to connect on port 5555 to my offices WAN IP. The firewall redirects the port to my computer and I can see my clients computer as soon as the connection is made to my VNC viewer operating on listening mode on port 5555.

It works great but now I am traveling and I a hotel and want to have the same functionality. There fore I need to forward the data coming in on port 5555 on my office machine to my laptop which is BEHIND a hotel firewall.

My solution to use Zebedee in reverse tunnel mode. So I run a client on my computer with the following configuration file.

debug true

verbosity 2 # Basic messages only

message "client"

detached false

Server false

Listenmode true

Tunnel 8000:*:5555

I then connect to the client by running the server on my computer

debug true

verbosity 2 # Basic messages only

message "Server"

server true # It's a server

detached false # Detach from terminal

serverport 8000

clienthost SUPPORT

I get a connection established on the client on my work machine. So I have established the connection to the client through the hotel firewall and our work firewall. However when I try and run the VNC server at port 5555 on my office machines nothing happens on my laptop.

I have tried several variations of ports and commands. I think I fundamentally misunderstand something. Remember all I am trying to do is redirect traffic arriving at port 5555 to my laptop on the road which is also behind a firewall.

Can someone help me out with my configuration?

Thanks

Chas

Reply to
Chasman
Loading thread data ...

Why not I have established a secure tunnel from my laptop (behind the hotel fireall that I cannot control) to the office computer (behind the firewall I do control). what I am trying to figure out is how I can forward the port through the tunnel. ie whats wrong with my configuration file.

As I said

"I get a connection established on the client on my work machine. So I have established the connection to the client through the hotel firewall and our work firewall. "

Reply to
Chasman

Volker

Are you running that under windows?

If so whihc flavor of ssh are you running and are you running the ssh server on the server or on your remote machine?

THanks

Reply to
Chasman

Lets not get into a semantics argument. I do NOT have an IP that is fully open to the internet. I have no control of the NAT box. So no have redfined it and not changed anything. Can anyone give some help?

Reply to
Chasman

"Chasman" wrote in news:1128623493.507767.221860 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If you're behind a FW you have no control over, then you have no shot at having inbound traffic for the RDS application host or client to be forwarded on the FW to the IP/machine that has the application running listening on the inbound port.

Maybe, that RDS application GoToMyPC may work for you.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

It's not a hotel firewall, it's a simple NAT solution. Most every hotel has a NAT device or some other method, but they are not providing you with Firewall services. I've stayed in enough hotels across the USA to be sure of this.

Reply to
Leythos

I don't know Zebedee very well. But I'm using ssh -L for that case, and it works very good.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Yes, also under Windows.

Beside LSH I'm using OpenSSH. On Windows, I'm using OpenSSH with Cygwin.

The ssh server is on port 443 of a machine, which is reachable from the internet. It's my gateway machine.

Then I'm doing a simple ssh -p 443 -L 5900:192.168.23.42:5900 %GATEWAYIP% on the client, and that's it. VNC is then on 127.0.0.1.

Sometimes, one has to knock on the firewall/proxy of the hotel, though. For this case, I'm using corkscrew.

formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.