WinDVD wants to connect to crl.microsoft.com spyware?

Why would WinDVD require an Internet connection to crl.microsoft.com?

I recently installed a ZoneAlarm 6.1.737.000 software firewall and I find that InterVideo WinDVD 3.2 is secretly trying to connect to crl.microsoft.com [131.107.115.28] when WinDVD runs on WinXP. If we don't accept the WinDVD request to connect to Microsoft, InterVideo WinDVD shuts down. Huh?

Googling for crl.microsoft.com I find information that I don't quite understand (being a lay person and not an expert on this topic).

Specifically, crl.microsoft.com appears to be Microsoft's certificate authority server (whatever that means). Apparently CRL stands for "Certificate Revocation List". The google search seems to indicate the crl server is used to verify whether the certificate (whatever that is) for WinDVD is legitimate.

But, WinDVD isn't a Microsoft application. Why would InterVideo WinDVD sectretly require a connection to the Internet in order to play a video?

That makes no sense so I must have some data point wrong here. But, that's why I'm asking you, the experts in DVD software, firewalls, and spyware.

Ada Price

Reply to
Ada Price
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
BTW:
formatting link
;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.