newLisp attempting to connect to a DNS server

Hi all,

I had a question about the newLisp programming tool (available from newLisp.org). This tool is similar to the Python "Idle" tool, in that it allows a user to write and execute code directly in a command window.

The problem I have with this tool is that it seems to want to make a connection to a remote DNS server. Connection details according to my firewall: Protocol used: UDP (Outbound) Remote Address: 203.0.178.191:53 Local Address: 192.168.1.9:0

The Python "Idle" tool states the following in its command window: Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface.

I guess newLisp has a similar reason for creating a network connection, and I would understand if it attempted to connect to the local loop-back address 127.0.0.1. But what would be a reason for an application to connect to a remote server?

thanks for any pointers

JJ

Reply to
jjoensuu
Loading thread data ...

On Win32 newLISP will initialize the Winsocket interface, but no connections to remote IP addresses will be initiated. On UNIX like OSs this kind of network stack initialization is not happening.

When running newLISP-tk, which is a Tcl/Tk frontend to the normal newLISP executable, then newLISP will open two connections via the loopback interface 127.0.0.1 on the ports 64001 and 64002 for communiations between the Tcl/Tk frontend and the newLISP executable. This will happen on both, Win32 and UNIX platforms.

To sum it up: under no circumstances newLISP is trying to connect to an outside machine unless you wrote a script in newLISP to do so. The loopback address 127.0.0.1 will only be accessed using the newLISP-tk frontend.

Lutz

Reply to
Lutz Mueller

On Win32 newLISP will initialize the Winsocket interface, but no connections to remote IP addresses will be initiated. On UNIX like OSs this kind of network stack initialization is not happening.

When running newLISP-tk, which is a Tcl/Tk frontend to the normal newLISP executable, then newLISP will open two connections via the loopback interface 127.0.0.1 on the ports 64001 and 64002 for communiations between the Tcl/Tk frontend and the newLISP executable. This will happen on both, Win32 and UNIX platforms.

To sum it up: under no circumstances newLISP is trying to connect to an outside machine unless you wrote a script in newLISP to do so. The loopback address 127.0.0.1 will only be accessed using the newLISP-tk frontend.

Lutz

Reply to
lutz

ok, a couple of clarifications are probably needed: A. I am running newLisp on Windows XP B. I do not have any code in place asking newLisp to connect to a remote address C. The server that newLisp is trying to communicate with (203.0.178.191) is my ISPs DNS server

I do not know why it tries to communicate with the DNS server.

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I have a specialized firewall rule in place that limits newLisp's communication to the ip-address 127.0.0.1.

Thanks for any help,

Jarmo

Reply to
jjoensuu

It is either the initialization of the Winsocket interface, or you are using the newLISP-tk frontend to communicate with the newlisp.exe via the 127.0.0.1 loopback interface.

Lutz

Reply to
lutz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.