Administering server on DMZ

Hi

I am wanting to place a Windows 2000 Server, using SSL, out on the Internet and I am looking for a convenient way to remotely administer it. This includes other offsite but restricted users being able to remotely install and configure the server.

Two possibilities I can think of is:

1. VNC, or one of the more secure versions like TightVNC, UltraVNC, etc.

1. Remote desktop with 2000 & XP would be very nice but I'm not sure how secure this would be on a web server.

Anyone any suggestions on how to do this? Would the two options above do the job securely enough?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Reply to
Alan
Loading thread data ...

Radmin on a non-standard port is good.

formatting link

Reply to
Mike

Run VNC on a non-standard port (40000) or setup RAS to the server.

Reply to
Leythos

Why use third party software if RDP comes with the OS? I see no reason to do that. If one doesn't trust the vendor of a particular OS, I'd simply recommend using another OS instead.

THe first question to ask is how secure is win2000 as a web Server at all!

If you really must use win2000 I'd recommend the following setup:

Internet | | |a.b.c.d Packet-Filter_and-VPN-Box |192.168.x.y | | | |192.168.x.z win2000-box

NAT Port 80 of the public IP a.b.c.d to 192.168.x.z (the win2000 box) allowing in the ruleset of packet filter rules only public access to Port

80 (maybe 443). Access to all other services is blocked by the packet-filter but is only possible via a VPN that termintaes on the packet-filter as well.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

How about openssh on the server. bind the remote desktop only to

127.0.0.1 . SSH into the server and port forward the RDC. Bingo... This is how I manage my windows servers out there Macroscape Solutions Inc.
formatting link
Reply to
Macroscape

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.