Watchguard X500

I know my way around a PC fairly well but not so much on a firewall appliance. I was given a WG X500 to sell on Ebay for a friend who had "some" setup done on the unit. All I want to do is bring it to factory default. I don't have the password or IP it was given nor do I have much of the documentation. When I go to the WG web site I have to setup an account/registration in order to do this. I want to leave this for the person who hopefully buys the unit so it's not in my name. And again, all I want to do is a factory reset on the thing. Push a button or hold a button while turning it on. There must be a way for people who don't have any previous info on the unit to start from scratch?

Reply to
Someonetoblame
Loading thread data ...

WatchGuard, like other major vendors, does not provide anything for free.

In order to properly see the unit on E-Bay, if you even remotely expect to allow the purchaser to get support/warranty/firmware, you must process a transfer of ownership for them. Once you do that, they can setup their own account and get support, purchase Live Security, and they can do all they want.

Anyone foolish enough to take a firewall bought on e-bay and trust it was purchase is a fool.

Reset to factory defaults can be found on the WG site, it's as simple as pressing a button, but you need to provide them the software or they can't do anything with the firewall - but, when they purchase a LSS license they will get everything they need

Reply to
Leythos

I have the software along with the license and even a 20 user VPN certificate, just not much in documentation. I tried to find the factory reset on their site and only found that I needed to register the unit in my name in order to get the answer. If I need to set up an account and then transfer it to the new owner just to find out how to do the reset I will do that. This is an honest trade, I just wanted to do it the simplest way for me and the new owner. I thought resetting the unit to default and giving the new owner the license and VPN stuff I have was the way to go so they could start out "new" as the unit hasn't been used, just partially set up. From your post I assume this is not the case. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Someonetoblame

If you have the software, then you have the manual, it's a simple 1 button reset. If the unit was registered, and you had to register it to get the key, then you must furnish a xfer document or the new owner will not be able to license it.

A quick google also shows how to factory reset them.

Reply to
Leythos

-

Thank you. I did a google and found nothing on an actual reset, which is why I posted this question. From what I've found the disk I have is for setup only. My brother works with and has set up a lot of Watchguard units and didn't know what the factory default was for this unit. Again, I just hate to set up the whole thing for myself just to sell it to another. BTW, love the illegal alien part. So true.

Reply to
Someonetoblame

The first link in google, experts exchange, cached page (so you don't have to register):

do a google search on the following - NO QUOTES: "watchguard x500 reset to factory default"

it's all there.

Reply to
Leythos

Here you go:

Before you start, assign the IP address of your management station to be on the 192.168.253.0 network. Do not use the

192.168.253.1 address, which is being held by the Firebox as a default. The subnet is 255.255.255.0. It is recommended that you give your computer?s default gateway an IP address of 192.168.253.1.

1 Disconnect the Firebox from the network. Start with the Firebox turned off. Hold down the Reset button on the back of the Firebox (for Firebox III) or the Up arrow (for Firebox X) and turn on the Firebox power switch. On a Firebox X, you can release the Up arrow when the LCD display shows ?Booting SysB.? On a Firebox III, do not let go of the Reset button until you see this light sequence: External light on Triangle: Blinks Trusted => Optional traffic (Activity): Flashing lights Sys B: Flickering Armed: Steady

2 Connect a crossover cable to the management station and into the Firebox trusted interface (labeled ?1? on the Firebox X).

3 Open a DOS prompt, and ping the Firebox with

192.168.253.1. You should get a reply.

4 In Policy Manager, select File => Open => Configuration File. Select the configuration file you want to load onto the Firebox and load it into Policy Manager.

5 In Policy Manager, select File => Save => To Firebox. When you are asked for the IP address of the Firebox, use 192.168.253.1 with wg as the passphrase.

6 When the Firebox Flash Disk dialog box appears, click the button marked Save Configuration File and New Flash Image.

7 After the file has been restored on the Firebox, you will have to reassign the IP address of your management station such that it is on the same network as the trusted interface from the configuration file that you just used. This will enable you to reconnect to the Firebox. After the configuration has been uploaded and the Firebox has been rebooted, the Firebox X LCD panel displays this: Firebox X SysA - Armed On a Firebox III, the light sequence should look like this: Armed light: steady Sys A light: steady
Reply to
Mike W.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.