TZ170 vs Cisco831

I'm shopping for a solution for 15 users (currently 19 nodes and not growing anytime soon) and 3 VPN users.

Cisco says their 831 has no user limit, and it costs less than the TZ170 even with the Smartnet support option, so what advantage has the TZ170 got?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso
Loading thread data ...

Where to start. The TZ170 has a lot of advanced features, including Layer7 Application filtering, Content Filtering, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus (some will cost you extra). Plus its performance is far superior to the Cisco box. The Cisco 831 is like some sort of firewall from 5 years ago, its security capabilities are ok for the 90s. The VPN setup is also kind of nasty, breaks easy and performance is crap.

However, if $$$ is important you may well want to check out the new TZ150, I understand there will be 10 node and 25 node versions. Its a little cut back from the TZ170 but still has loads more functionality and better secuirty than the Cisco box.

Reply to
Mark S

Thanks, I appreciate it. Sonicwall it is then.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I own the TZ150 and it is awesome. There are a couple minor bugs tho in the UI of the management, for reports, but it's awesome and works great no issues otherwise. It has by far in my opinion the best/most features for the lowest cost.

formatting link
sells it for $290 or $534 for the firewall appliance and all the security gatewway suite which has the virus, content filtering and support and even the IPS which is awesome i think. the UI is sooo easy to use and laid out extremly well. It's one heck of a device and features.

Reply to
Joe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.