Good mid size company router/gateway ideas? VPN solutions (Ssl)? Current choices ...

We are researching replacing our existing (and frequently locking up) Symantec Gateway 460 gateway (was a $650 device). Currently it has the firewall and vpn built in (ipsec). This unit requires that end users use proprietary vpn software, rather than just creating a windows vpn connection.. this software doesnt work in x64 Vista (or Vista period). We also have installed pptp vpn on a backend server and use this as an alternate for now.

We have a 15 mbit Comcast cable connection (1mbit upload) and a 3mbit verizon connection (1mbit upload max).. We have about 10 users at the moment (out of 42) who use VPN, usually only about 3-4 at a time though.

I'd really like an all in one solution that was VPN SSL capable (i'm assuming this means the end user wouldnt need proprietary software, just an SSL certificate and a connection in most cases?).. but it seems most are breaking the two apart these days?

Here are my current choices.. any thoughts on these or perhaps others out there i haven't thought of? (perhaps cheaper ones that are just as good)? We need to have dual wan ability in either case though..

Gateways:

Sonicwall Pro 2040 Internet Security Appliance: (dual wan able) 01- SSC-5700 $1339.88 (24x7 support option 01-SSC-5707 = $350.97)

**No SSL vpn ability need separate unit, see below (has standard 10 license, ipsec vpn ability); 200mbps on firewall and 50mps on vpn

Juniper SSG-140-SH $2569

** 350mbps on firewall; 100 mbps on vpn

Secondary vpn device: SonicWall SSL-VPN 2000 01-SSC-5952 $1691 (unlimited users)

*Nice interface via the web, does require a small app installed via the web to directly connect though.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
markm75
Loading thread data ...

Why did the company get Vista 64 bit? A whole lot of things don't work with Vista 64 bit at this time. What they should have gotten was Vista 32 bit. Some vendors as of yet have not caught up with the requirements to run their solution on or against the Vista platform. Vendors are working on this, because they have no choice if they want to make money, but some are still lagging behind.

First, you have to find a solution that's Vista compliant *period*. The solution that is Vista compliant will be designated as such. I understand that 32bit Vista compliant solutions work on the 64 bit platform. You need to start checking with vendors and check that their solutions are Vista compliant.

I doubt you're going to find anything worthy of a VPN solution but it's a shot.

formatting link
You find something that's Vista compliant, you dual boot Vista/Windows XP or you might be able to use PC2007.

formatting link
Someone should have done their homework before he or she made the decision to run off and use Vista, and most don't do it.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I've been running x64 at home now for well over a year.. no issues whatsoever, minus the fact that symantec vpn client doesnt work on anything vista (but i use pptp vpn to get in, not a huge deal, if i throw on an ssl cert, it would be perfectly secure).. this only affects 1 person, myself.. Btw.. i run a TON of apps on x64 and i have a lot of hardware, all of which work and have drivers.

As far as the company side.. we do have two users, using x64 internally, without any issues as well.

We also run 4gb of memory on most of these power systems, so x64 uses the full segment of 4gb, not just 3.5gb etc..

Its my opinion that if you have a beefy system, want it to be more secure (as x64 is by default), run 4gb of memory or more, than at this point in time, most of the time going with x64 isnt a bad choice.. heck even games run fine.

Reply to
markm75

I got Vista 32bit Ultimate, and I have no problems with it. All you have to do is step into a Vista NG to see the many problems users are having with any version of Vista 32 and 64 bit at this time.

And all you have to do is ask a .NET developer about the woes of using Vista

64 bit anything.

But again, it all depends upon who is sitting behind the wheel and is doing the driving.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Offtopic again, but i must confess:

Actually, where i work, we have 2 people running x64 Vista with .net

2005, inclusive of myself without any issues.
Reply to
markm75

They can consider themselves lucky according to some contractors I know.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

check the specs for the 2040, besides the builtin switch it doesn't have much more performance than a TZ180/190 - which is a big enough firewall for 42 users, - of course depending on traffic and which security services (AV, IPS, Anti Spyware) you are planning to run on it.

if you have the budget and want to plan ahead, go for the 3060.

in case you haven't seen this:

formatting link
I would recommend it for your size office.

M
Reply to
mak

of course depending on traffic and which

this:

formatting link

So the 200 lacks the java RDP ability via the main web page? It also mentions client side certs arent included.. i'm not sure where that comes into play/works? IE: ive seen a demo of the 2000.. where you log into the web page and can do RDP, or shared drives etc.. or install the netclient locally.. are these not included in the 200 version?

Reply to
markm75

Cisco ASA supports this in one box. (FW + ipsec vpn + ssl vpn + ids

• ...) With the right license of course :-)
Reply to
Robby Cauwerts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.