Turning off firewall

What kind of risk is there turning off my firewall for about 15 to 20 minutes. I had to have Comcast technician come and fix some line troubles, and I had to turn off the firewall for a few minutes so the technician could run some tests over the Internet. What could any script kiddies out there have done to my system in the roughly 15 to 20 minutes I had to have my firewall turned off. Could my system have been "owned" by any hackers out there during that time, or would it take them longer to do anything, once they found an unprotected system? The technician told me to turn off any firewalls or filtering software before the testing could be performed.

Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

What kind of risc is there having 15-20 minutes of unprotected sex?

SCNR

Regardless of your so called "firewall", how secure, safe is you computer? Are there any unneeded services running? With unneeded i mean unneeded for the upcoming tests? Switch anything else off, don't trust the technician, don't trust your computer after he is finished with it, etc. To make a long story short: Be paranoid ;-|

Reply to
Uli Wachowitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.