Sonicwall gateway AV killing POP sessions

On our Sonicwall 2040 I turned on the Gateway Antivirus service. The problem is when our e-mail users check their mail (MDaemon mail server) via POP, and one of the emails contains a worm/virus, the Sonicwall just terminates the TCP connection and the e-mail client is left stalled in the middle of mail collection. My only solution is to go to the mail server, look in the user's mail queue, find the offending message, manually delete it, and have the client check their mail again. Totally ridiculous given the flood of viruses and worms in email today!! I would have expected the SonicWall to gracefully remove or neuter the offending message and allow the POP mail collection to continue normally.

I've gone around and around with Sonicwall support and they have told me this is a "feature" and not a bug. On another Sonicwall forum, I was told the problem is with Outlook (2003) and Outlook Express (6.0) not properly handling "reset" requests and I should consider using another mail client (not an option!) Has anybody else seen this problem?

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.