Seek hardware firewall for home user

Can someone advise me. What are some recommended models of hardware firewall? Here are some details.

I'm in the UK and am running WinXP Pro/SP2 on a home-office PC. The PC connects directly to a cable modem (Virgin Media) and then to the Internet. I don't share my connection with anyone else. Printer and scanner are attached direct to the PC via USB.

I use a software firewall by Sygate and am told that I am much better protected by a hardware firewall.

I may (30% to 40% chance) attach a second PC later. later on I might (about 15% to 20% chance) attach visiting laptops via wireless.

Am reasonably technical but not very familiar with data comms and security. I wouldn't want to learn a lot about this just to run the hardware firewall so something fairly straighforward to set up, to use, and to update is good.

-------

What sort of hardware firewall should I get?

What recommended models? I'm on quite a tight budget and anything over £100 is definitely out! Ideally I would spend a lot less than that.

On the otherhand I don't want something so cheap that which has too few controls and features and can't configured later on if it gets necessary .

Reply to
John D
Loading thread data ...

You're not going to get a firewall for under $250 US, but you can get a=20 NAT router that many vendors call a firewall. Look up NAT Router on=20 google.

A NAT Router will provide the basic protection you need and give you the=20 ability to run multiple computers off that device.

--=20

Leythos

- Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

- Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a=20 drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist" snipped-for-privacy@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Reply to
Leythos

Have a look at the Netgear FVS114. Only suitable for quite small networks (crashes if you overload it) but for 1-10 machines it should be fine. I have two in service; in the smaller office of one client (8 machines, printer) it's mostly fine but in their larger office on two floors we've had to replace it with its big brother. Very cheap!

Phil, London

Reply to
Philip Herlihy

Like the other replies say - a reasonable router is generally good enough if you're on a budget! I also use a Netgear but in my case a WGU624 plus the ISP bundled software firewall. Between them I have survived thus far!

Reply to
DCA

What does your cable modem include? Some may have this already built in. If it doesn't and your cable model has an ethernet port you could just plug in a firewall/router.

Failing that you could just replace your modem with a combined modem/router/firewall. Just search for "cable router".

M
Reply to
Mark
[...]

I didn't think you could do that with a Virgin Media cable connection?

The OP would need to retain his supplied modem, and add a router. This could be wireless or not.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

John,

I'm running a LinkSys wireless router (WRT54GS) in my office which lists for around $79USD that should work nicely for you. It will be your gateway to the internet, allows for both wired (4 ports) and wireless.

formatting link
or

formatting link
There certainly other manufactures that also use NAT as the firewall with the premise being, if they can't see you, they won't bother you. The router has a number of other options to help keep the bad guy's from gaining access. The WRT54GS has been around for awhile. I have a version 2 model while they are now at version 7. I have installed these at a clients site and although we had one router fail (thermal issue), no other problems and they have been rock solid.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I'd definately recommend

formatting link
- mine runs sweet as a nut in my cupboard on a p2-200Mhz with 128ram and 4gig HD. lovely!

Reply to
Steve Williamson

How does 'Smoothwall' compare with a 'Bering Leaf' firewall/router (using iptables setup with Shorewall)? Isn't 128Meg and 4Gig a bit of overkill - 'Bering Leaf' will run with 16Meg off a floppy (though I'm running mine off a CF card)

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

Smoothwall/IPCop (very similar) will run on a 16meg 486, but does like a 40meg or so hard drive if you need logs. It's about a 10meg install, and a full web interface.

Hunting through the spare kitbits at the moment, if I wanted to build one it'd end up being at least a P3-750 with 128meg and a 60gig HD.

Instead I use my Netgear DG834PN router.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.