Reverse HTTPS Tunnel???

There are many applications out there now (LogMeIn, I'm InTouch, etc.) to give you remote access to your computer/files and claim to be secure. My question is how do the security features on these things work?

The way these systems work in general is pretty straight forward. You run their agent on your computer at home and it sits and waits for connections. Then, you can connect to your computer remotely to either remotely control it or just grab files off of it. You do this through a browser that is connected to a gateway that they run, and it somehow connects to your computer and allows access to your files.

Now the obvious way to set up security in such a situation is to set up an SSL link between the browser and the gateway, and then another SSL link between the gateway and my computer. Note that the SSL certificate on the gateway that the browser sees must be signed by a well known CA, but the other certificate can be private since the company that creates this service owns both ends of the link. The problem with this system is my personal data is in the clear at their gateway where their employees can see it. Hence it is not secure at all.

So how can they do this more securely? Here's what I know:

1) These companies claim to give end-to-end security so that their gateway cannot read your data.

2) The certificate that you see at the browser end belongs to the gateway.

3) You do not have to open up a port on the firewall at your computer's end. Obviously, they are doing port forwarding from your computer to their gateway.

It seems that with what they want to do, they could just open up an SSL tunnel through their gateway to your computer. However, that would require opening up a firewall port. It would also mean that the certificate that is viewable on the browser came from your computer and not the gateway.

So does anyone have any idea what can be going on. I've seen this situation described as a "Reverse HTTPS Tunnel" but can't seem to find any references to it. Any ideas?

Reply to
Sander Smith
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.