Reset the password on my HomePortal 1000SW?

Have a modem and wireless router. HomePortal 1000SW, 3.5.5 Trying to get past the lost password.

FWIW. I take lots of notes, but none of the recorded passwords work.

Apparently, a more recent version of the software/firmware (not really sure what it is) allows easier unsetting of the password, but I guess my box won't accept the new firmware, and I have not been able to find it on 2Wire's website anyway. According to the somewhat outdated HomePortal, I might be able to call AT&T and give them a 20 digit number, and have them give me a temporary password. Somehow I doubt it, I would rather just try resetting the thing.

After some research... My best lead is from this page.

formatting link
I do not understand the instructions.

I am trying to use Wireshark 1.2.7, my first experience with a packet sniffer.

From that webpage...

... Connect to your 1000sw

I guess that just means like it is right now, with Internet communications flowing through the router.

... You will see packets from the IP you assigned to the homeportal

The current Wireshark window title is "Realtek 10/100/1000 Ethernet NIC" The lines are color-coded. The white ones say "Source... 2wire"...

... Statically assign an IP to your nic in the same subnet as the IP you assigned the homeportal

I do not assign an IP to my NIC. I guess "subnet" means a group of addresses within a certain range. I have no idea how to statically assign a number to the NIC.

... Go to »IP_of_homeportal/management ... Click on Resets ... Click on Reset to Factory State

That looks like a path, but I need help getting there.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe
Loading thread data ...

John Doe wrote in news:009fa30d$0$2356$c3e8da3 @news.astraweb.com:

Have you tried the procedure outlined in the manual?

formatting link
If that doesn't work, then take a look at those packets in Wireshark that have the 2wire as their source and note the IP address they are coming from. Probably something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. Then Google "how to set up a static IP address in (insert your OS here)". You should be able to find the instructions. Set your computers IP address to something very close to the routers, but not the same. For instance, if the router is at 192.168.1.1 then set your computer to 192.168.1.5.

Once that is done, reboot your computer, open a browser window and type in the IP address of the router followed by the /management. For instance, if the router is at 192.168.1.1 then type in http://192.168.1.1/management and it should take you to the management page you are trying to access.

Don't forget to reset your computers IP address back to what it was before (probably "assigned automatically").

Reply to
Whoever

Whoever you are, thanks for the clear looking information, hopefully someone will be able to use it (maybe me next time).

I just remembered that the password was changed to something familiar when using the wireless router as wi-fi for an iPhone.

Sorry. False alarm. I got it now.

Too bad I do not get to test your instruction... :D

Hasta la Vista

Reply to
John Doe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.