Pc-cillan vs. Earthlink TotalAccess conflict under WinXP?

Apologies if I'm begging in the wrong place:

I am actually happy with Trend PC-cillin Internet Security 2005.

Issue: I recently purchased a new Dell 4700 with WinXP. I use Earthlink DSL through a DSL modem. I recently installed a Linksys router and also installed Earthlink Total Access to monitor my children's email and browsing activities.

While no one has trouble browsing through MSIE under this arrangement, I cannot access the Pop3 server to access email for the various email addresses set up under Earthlink.

If I turn off Pc-cillin, the email service works fine.

I spent a couple of hours with Earthlink support and their final conclusion was to ask Pc-cillin if you were aware of any conflicts.

It occurs to me that there are a host of firewalls involved here: Pc-cillin, WinXP (I have this turned off, I think), perhaps the Linksys router, and whatever the Earthlink/TotalAccess system has in place on its server.

If anyone can provide ideas about creating a viable path for email traffic in and out of this computer, I would be most appreciating?

Brian Z snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
bdz000
Loading thread data ...

Can we assume you mean you have a Linksys Firewall Router? IF so, there is a

1-800 number in the brochure that came with this Linksys product and hopefully you saved it. I had a hell of a problem with installing mine and called Cisco Systems Tech help who own Linksys, (the number in the brochure) They were very helpful and walked me thru the configuration which was NOT as simple as they indicate in the packaging, even with the included disc and Help file. Call them, very good Tech help and then check to be CERTAIN your XP firewall is disabled since you are running all that other stuff.. Hopefully this has some relevence to your problem..
Reply to
Sandman

Have you tried disabling the email scanning module under TIS? TIS sets up a proxy for the purpose of collecting data for scanning before it transers it to your email client, via port 110. It may be that Earthlink isn't set up to work with proxys, just like this article would imply concerning Norton AV:

formatting link

Reply to
optikl

Earthlink's email server will work with a proxy including NAV. Earthlink' email server uses password authentication both for POP3 and SMTP. These servers are independent entities. POP3 being a dot com site, SMTP being a dot net site. Sometimes users overlook the logon requirement for SMTP and its different mail server name.. After disabling NAV's email scanning, then properly adjusting the mail server and logon requirements and verifying operability, then reenabling NAV's email scanning usually does the trick. Its been my observation that Earthlink has added the SMTP logon requirement without informing ALL of its email usage customers. Also typical was an email server site name change without informing the customer, and tech support may be unaware of same for a few weeks at a time after the fact.

Reply to
Lil' Dave

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.