Problems Emailing Through Cheap Netgear Router

Hi, all.

I recently purchased a cheap Netgear router and am unable to send any email messages (port 25). I can receive, and it seems all other basic internet dealings are normal. I've owned several routers in the past (mainly Linksys), and have never had this problem.

Oh, it behaves the same over wi-fi and when wired to the router.

Thanks, ~swooz

Reply to
Swoozie Pellegrino
Loading thread data ...

Why do you suspect the router? Maybe your AV e-mail scanner or firewall are blocking port 25. Bypass your router and see if the problem remains.

Reply to
badgolferman

Did you do a hard rest of the router?

Maybe, the firmware is sick and the router needs to be re-flashed.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I have no AV or firewall running on my PC. And I am able to send at wi-fi cafes (with Windows Firewall running, of course ;-) ). I'll cycle power on the router, then reflash it if still broken, as the other guy suggested.

Thanks! ~swooz

Reply to
Swoozie Pellegrino

First off, what are the settings on the router? Do you even know if it's configured? It could be configured for 'most' people, but out of the box or after a 'push the red button and hold it for 30 seconds' hard reset it should not pose any problems...

Reply to
RedForeman

Not sure if this is the issue, but my ISP (Cox in Orange County) seems to block Port 25 to all traffic except them. I can POP email from anywhere, but for consistency, I always send PORT 25 traffic to them. Most email programs (Outlook, OE, Thunderbird), allow for different SMTP and POP3 settings. I have used DLINK, LINKSYS, NETGEAR Wireless routers, and they all behave the same... Most Wireless Routers have Wired Ports. So I would first 1) Put your PC on the Network (Cable, DSL, T1, etc), and see if Port25 works there. Then put your Netgear router, and without changins settings, see if PORT25 works there, then try over wireless.

Reply to
The Computer Dood

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.