Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

It's worthless.

You really think so do you.

Not if the machine has been compromised by malware and you don't know it, as you give up this information.

You can change them but if someone really wanted to come after your set-up on the wireless side, none of it means anything, particularly about the IP from the ISP being changed. They have already hacked the wireless on the router and they would know what the IP is from the ISP. And more and more people are finding out about the tools used to hack a wireless system. It don't take a genius to figure it out as more and more users are using wireless.

You're setting there with a wireless set-up and you're expecting some kind of security, then what can I say about it.

How you're going to get attacked is someone with happy fingers clinking on unknown emails or dubious URL(s) that install things on the machine that compromise the machine and they have control of the machine. None of this other stuff you're talking about means anything, nothing, if they have control of the machine.

They can also do this on the wireless side of the router and attack and install things on a wired or wireless machine as they are most likely wide open to attack.

At the very least, if the router has a syslog that you can use Wallwatcher (free) so you can see what traffic is leaving the router to remote IP(s) for possible dubious connections, then you should implement it. You shouldn't sit there and fly blind if you can help it, as you don't even know what traffic is leaving the network/router.

You should try to implement safehex as much as possible.

formatting link
You should try to secure/harden the O/S to attack as much as possible.

formatting link
This thing with you trying to change the IP from the ISP is worthless if the machine has been compromised. In general, you changing the IP from the ISP on a routine basis is worthless.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
Loading thread data ...

Just use google and do a search.

Reply to
Dana

No, we don't get your MAC address.

You can edit the headers in most newsreaders to change your Organization, User-Agent, and some others; I don't know about 40tude (silly bloody name). Do you really think my Newsreader is what I say it is?

We only know your OS because you're using a Winders newsreader. Your NNTP provider is adding your NNTP-Posting-Host; think about finding one that's more discreet. We can't tell _exactly_ where you are from your IP anyway.

I'm using a throwaway name. Mail to that address disappears into a black hole, and I'm not going to tell you my IP (dynamic like yours) or my ISP (not the same as my news provider), or where I live or my MAC's maiden name. But I don't really care either. You're worrying too much.

Reply to
Warren Oates

OK, so lets say a bad guy gets your ip address, and he runs a whois search on that ip. Guess what, the listing of that IP is your ISP, not you, so there is no way he can identify you to that IP address. Now if the cops came up with a warrant, they can force the ISP into giving out information that will identify you, but ISP's will not give out information about your surfing unless they are forced to by a court order, and some have even fought that.

Reply to
Dana

for enhanced security measures changing your SSID will not hurt.

While I see where you are coming from, I would not say it is pointless. There are valid and invalid reasons for wanting to change a MAC address.

Reply to
Dana

Just using your IP address to track messages would also give me the other people who were assigned that IP address by your ISP. Remember the ISP is who is identified by that IP address when you run a whois.

Yep, just type in your name you use to post, or the email address you are using.

It will not. If you want to post anonymously, you have to use a remailer type of service. They strip your headers, and replace them with theirs.

I leave mine open. But I do not have any visible neighbors

Reply to
Dana

And again John jumps in with both feet in his mouth. And that IP address when ran by a whois will state it belongs to the ISP in question, not to the person who has been assigned that IP by the ISP. And the cable modems and DSL modems do have an address, it may be a layer two only address, or if a router is built into the device they can have a layer 3 address. My cable modem has a mac address that the cable company uses. So again John, you have displayed that you really are not that well informed.

Reply to
Dana

the ONLY News Group

Communication security. Crypto and all that fancy stuff. Very interesting stuff by the way, especially in the signal intelligence side of the house. If you are paranoid about your ISP address, you do not want to know what can be done by signals intelligence, and other forms of electronic warfare and electroncic countermeasures.

Reply to
Dana

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:00:54 -0800, "Dana" wrote in :

You said "ip address". No other address is visible to the outside world.

You said "ip address". No other address is visible to the outside world.

Scramble noted and apology accepted.

Reply to
John Navas

This will not give you privacy or more security at all.

Better consider using Tor network.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:27:05 -0800, "Dana" wrote in :

For some things, yes, but in cases like this Google search is much less efficient than going to a reference like Wikipedia.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:33:59 -0800, "Dana" wrote in :

It won't actually help at all. Anyone with even minor clue can get the MAC address or otherwise identify it.

Sure. But security isn't one of them.

Reply to
John Navas

| the ONLY News Group

| | Communication security. | Crypto and all that fancy stuff. | Very interesting stuff by the way, especially in the signal intelligence | side of the house. | If you are paranoid about your ISP address, you do not want to know what can | be done by signals intelligence, and other forms of electronic warfare and | electroncic countermeasures. |

Make him even MORE pranoid. Tell him about Tempest Monitoring :-)

Reply to
David H. Lipman

And not particularly effective either

formatting link

greg

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

I suggest figuring out how the basic tcp/ip networking works before you really do shoot yourself in both feet.

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

Yeah that'll work....

formatting link

greg

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

Now he is going to shield his house with lead.

Reply to
Dana

Thanks for the link. Very interesting read.

Reply to
Dana

Never said it was.

Reply to
Dana

People need to be aware that Wikipedia is not a real reference, and that the material there is not checked for accuracy.

Reply to
Dana

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.