Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:19:39 GMT, Aluxe wrote in :

No. Your only real option is to use an "anonymizer" service, but that's slow, painful, and/or not free.

I'd personally worry much more about tracking cookies than about IP, which is way down the list of real concerns.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

| | Hi Dana, | Thank you again for your willingness to help approach a technical problem. |

< snip >

I ask you again to remove alt.privacy.spyware from your posts.

All of your subject matter is on COMSEC and alt.computer.security is the ONLY News Group you need to post to.

Additionally, you set Follow-Ups and fail to honour them yourself.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

a.n other utterly pointless measure.

See above. Generating a proper wpa key is far more important.

Causing ridiculous inconvenience. Changing a login does not prevent any audit trail from being followed. If the TPTB want to figure out WTF you're upto, a warrant + sniffer at the ISP will do the rest.

Changing IP address is categorically *not* a security measure in any way shape or form.

It is no more a security measure than utilising crapware such as Evidence Eliminator.

Wasting time and energy changing things which do not need to be changed will make you less secure in the long run.

What possible threats do you think changing IP address is protecting you from ?

greg

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

Than what you really want to do is connect through a proxy server. There are quite a few ways to do that, but you will have to pay because you are using someone elses server. do a google search on "anonymous web surfing" From that search you will see quite a few results. Changing your assigned IP address from your ISP is really not doing anything for you. Because think about it, you are changing the address of your computer, you are not changing the address of the device that directly connects you to the internet, I.E. your cable/DSL modem.

Yes there is, you can write a script to run the command you have already posted in this thread.

Reply to
Dana

Yes. This is the most important concern.

What is a "proxy connection". I once set a 'proxy server' on a browser but it was horribly slow. But that was way back in 1995 so maybe things are different now.

Is there a way to send this newsgroup message and have more privacy than I have now?

For example, you already know (just from this message):

- My ISP

- My MAC (unique)

- My IP address (temporary)

- My Town (you get this from my IP address)

- My Newsreader

- My Operating System (what else can you tell from this one news post?)

How can I post to the usenet without giving you all that information?

Reply to
Aluxe

While some of the above are good security practices, like password changing and even SSID. People who change MAC addresses are not doing so for security reasons, but are changing their MAC addresses to avoid being found (while yes you can call that security), the point is that it has been found that mass mailers, spammers, phishers and such are the ones who are hiding by changing their MAC addresses. But like everything else, they cannot hide forever and eventually they do get caught.

Reply to
Dana

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:54:28 GMT, Aluxe wrote in :

There isn't any.

You'll likely be given the same address.

Modem no; router yes if PPPoE, no if bridged.

Yes if PPPoE; no otherwise.

It's not, short of using an anonymizer service.

Sure.

Reply to
John Navas

ONLY News Group

Hi David, I don't know what a COMSEC is but I will look it up.

Reply to
Aluxe

Thank you John Naves for the advice. I do already use software that cleans up my cookies, removes and prevents adware and spyware.

At this point, I just want to reduce the number of things I have to give you when I post, e.g., you can tell my location from my IP adddress, for example. And my ISP. And my MAC. And my newsreader. And my operating system. And other things that I don't even know.

Reply to
Aluxe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:02:57 GMT, Aluxe wrote in :

Consult Wikipedia. That's what it's there for.

Sure -- use a news service that allows anonymous postings.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Not necessarily.

[yawn]

[yawn]

Who are you hiding from? ;)

See above.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:04:09 -0800, "Dana" wrote in :

Yes.

No. Only the wireless security authentication matters.

Changing the MAC address is totally pointless.

Reply to
John Navas

Are you connected directly to the Internet, running your Winders firewall? Don't do that. Buy a good router, let it connect to the Internet. Changing your IP address won't do anything useful for your privacy, because every IP address you get from your provider probably resolves to something like adsl-69-110-12-xxx.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net so everyone knows what range of IP addresses you're likely to be using.

If your system is properly locked, no one can get in. Unlike your car or your home, it's very difficult to break a window. Although it's easy to break Windows.

You can also look into Tor:

formatting link
You might want to go through a port scan at
formatting link
(you don't have to buy anything from him; I find his port-scan very useful).

Reply to
Warren Oates

Why do they have little walls between the phones on the wall at the hotel lobby?

This is a little way to protect your conversation from prying ears.

Why does my hatchback have a sliding cover over it. Another little way to protect privacy.

I'm hoping that changing my IP address prevents a casual observer from taking all my usenet posts and figuring out who I am, where I work, where i live, who is my spouse, what I do for a living, etc.

Doesn't it make it harder for you to track all my usenet posts? Can you easily track the last five hundred of my usenet posts otherwise?

n Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:59:28 +0100, Greg Hennessy wrote:

Reply to
Aluxe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:12:15 -0400, Warren Oates wrote in :

Don't trust anything at GRC -- Steve doesn't know what he's doing. Much better services are readily available.

Reply to
John Navas

But a firewall will prevent them from coming in. And using a proxy server would actually hide you from those you think may be tracking you.

Depends on the ISP. You can do an IPCONFIG /ALL and determine what the renewal rate is for the ISP. The above command will show when you got your lease and when it expires.

A script or bat file using the command.

periodically

Depends on how long the ISP holds the lease, and how busy they are. So if as you say you have seen that it takes around 5 hours to sometimes get a new lease, it depends on your ISP. Your DSL/Cable modem maintaing the link does not enter the solution at all, as your computers are being assigned an IP address. Now your DSL/Cable modem has an address, and if it is static or dynamic, that is dependent on the ISP. But even changing your PC address, you cannot change the DSL modem ip address.

I would have to look into that. Other devices allow schedules to be implemented, you would have to look at your user guide.

Reply to
Dana

LOL. Hi Dana, I'm not a bad guy ... If I were, I wouldn't be posting this using my own ISP would I?

Here's the test: a) Can you casually track my last ten posts? Of course you can. Just look for my login on google.

b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts? Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts? I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

Reply to
Aluxe

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:14:56 -0800, "Dana" wrote in :

With all due respect, that's not at all accurate -- you should read up on DOCSIS (cable modem) and DMT (ADSL). The only IP seen by the outside world is the public IP assigned to a computer or NAT router.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:13:35 GMT, Aluxe wrote in :

Changing your IP won't have any real bearing on that.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:16:26 GMT, Aluxe wrote in :

It doesn't.

To make the room dark.

Reply to
John Navas

Still kind of slow.

You would have to use a company that offers anonymous newsgroup posting. And yes they exist

formatting link

Reply to
Dana

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.