PIX and VLANs

I am researching the requirements to configure a pix 515E connected to a Cisco 2950 switch. I am researching the requirements to enable VLANS between these two devices. What do I need to look for a and what kind of problems could be encountered?

Thanks ICEMAN

Reply to
vlpresher
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate Cisco 2950 Technical Docs:

formatting link
as well as PIX

formatting link
and PIX Software

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese on Cisco Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Could you possibly give some more details? It should not be a problem configuring these 2 devices to work together.

Reply to
ether1

The PIX 515E will require PIX 6.3(1) or later software release. The 2950 should be usable with any IOS that has been supported for it.

Was there something more specific you were looking for? e.g., do you need to know things such as that you won't be able to terminate a VPN connection on the VLAN interface on the PIX?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

When VLANs are used on a switch you have to setup a router. VLANs will create two different networks that can't talk to each other with out a router. You will get "Network destination unreachable" error with ping, if you don't setup a router.

Reply to
Hexalon

The PIX 515E running PIX 6.3(1) or later software is able to route packets between 802.1Q VLANs. You do not need to add a seperate "router".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.