Is really necessary spanning tree in PIX ?

I'll try to explain brief and concrete :

My connection to internet goes to 2 panda Gate denders, placed in the internet Vlan and then goes to my Panda/pix Vlan , I have 2 pixes connected, one of them in sand-by.

It seems that it's necessary to disable spanning tree in panda's VLANS so they can work as active both, but I have enabled spanning tree in my PIX interface of that VLAN. So Is there any problem in disabling spanning tree in that inteface ? What kind of problems could be caused?

The pix is a 525 , the switches 2950, and the problem is that I need to disable spanning tree in the switch interface so Panda gateways can work on cooperative mode. (it isn't enabled in the switch interfaces where the Panda is connected to)

Thanks and regards, sorry my english isn't good neither is my cisco knowledge .

Reply to
Sako
Loading thread data ...

Which PIX software version are you running on your 525? And how do you configure spanning-tree on the 525?

There is no way to "enable spanning tree in my PIX interface" in PIX 4, PIX 5, or PIX 6; I am not sure about PIX 7.

In the setup you are using, the PIX is acting as a router -- acting at layer 3 rather than at layer 2. Spanning Tree is something that is used only at the switching level, layer 2.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The spanning tree is configured in the VLAN that has the panda interfaces and the Pixes Interfaces, but it ain't configured in the pix as far as I can see in the running config. So, what problems could it cause if I erase the spanning tree from the switch ?

Walter Roberson ha escrito:

Reply to
Sako

As I recall, you said the switch was a 2950. If so, then you can turn off spanning tree on the ports connected to the PIX, but turn on BPDU Guard for those ports. That way if at some point cables get misplaced or other rewiring happens, then if something that needs spanning tree ends up on those ports, the ports will disable themselves when they see spanning tree packets, thus preventing spanning tree loops.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.