Ping: Volker Birk & Possibly Other Regs!

I have been visiting this newsgroup for a few years now, popping in and out when I wanted to see what is happening on the subject of Firewalls and computer security.

To be honest when I started to have a look at some of Volker's posts and replies at first I thought he was in some ways just a troll, as he did seem to post the same statement over and over again, but in the last few days I have taken the time to have a good read of his recent replies, those posted in the last few days anyway.

With that in mind I would like to offer my apologies to you Volker, for doubting your sincerity and thus also doubting you knowledge and ability, I hope that you will accept my apology as it is meant.

You see too many people are only too happy to verbally attack others on/in usenet, but not enough are prepared to own up when they were wrong, although in this case thankfully I think I amy have only posted a doubtful reply once in reference to you, but that was once too many.

Mind you just so you know, if I post a question or ask for advice, please *PLEASE* bear in mind that I have only got a nice pre-historic computer, that is running Win98SE. So your WinXP firewall answer is of no help to me! ;-)

Best Wishes & once again please accept my apologies.

Gaz.

Reply to
Gaz.
Loading thread data ...

*G*

Yes. As a matter of fact, you don't need a firewall for Windows 98, because it's very easy to unbind any network service from your external interface. Just right-click on it, chose Properties, and remove anyhing with the exception of "TCP/IP".

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Him being sincere has nothing to do with his message being right or wrong. I also think he's sincere in his messages, think that he actually believes what he's typing, but he's wrong in his assessment of Windows Firewall for XP.

There comes a time when you can be overwhelmed by statements like his and just start assuming that they are correct, but, if you would take the time to actually put them to the test in the real world, not some artificial setting that you think mimics the real world, then you might just see that the person is right in a LAB setting, but wrong in a real world setting.

That type of problem crops up all the time, you know, like when a vendor tests all the methods/threats they can think of, releases the product, and then some kid comes along as does xyz and breaks it in 10 seconds.

His next reply to you is mostly correct, you can just unbind the services in 98, but you should be sitting behind a NAT Router of some type, because if you make a mistake or they find another exploit, you won't be safe, you need something more than just the assurances that your computer is safe.

Reply to
Leythos

Win98SE isn't in the Microsoft software life cycle today. That's the bigger problem. No, Win98SE doesn't need a host based firewall. Steve Gibson (I know, grc sucks, but not in this particular topic) has a good description to cut network bindings (for File Sharing) from Dial Up Connections:

formatting link
HTH Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

no help to me! ;-)

On Windows 98 OS with no firewall, does unbinding everything but "TCP/IP" prevent malware from "phoneing home"?? -- Malware that has gotten in the machine due to the users lack of security practices. Thank you, Csey

Reply to
Casey

If the machine can reach the internet by using the web browser (a simple test method) so can anything else.

Reply to
Leythos

No, and neither a firewall does.

The bad thing with Win98 is that you're always root, so a compromised system always needs to be flattened and rebuilt. With WinNT and restricted user rights flattening the user's account/profile is sufficient.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

No. Neither does a personal firewall, because it can be disabled most easily. Not installing malware is the only thing that helps against malware phoning home. Once you got malware installed your system is toast, especially if the system is Windows 9x. Lather, rinse, repeat.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Wrong. The support period has been extended.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Does it mean that the experimental multi monitor support with we replaced by a stable release?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

No. It just means that if somebody discovered a critical bug in it, there's a non-zero chance it will get fixed ;)

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

No. And I can see nothing else, which can achive this goal up to now for sure.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.