IR cable: can I use CAT-5?

I have a Niles in-wall IR sensor. Their docs say to use a 2-conductor shielded cable, consisting of two 22-guage insulated wires and a bare drain surrounded by a foil shield.

Is there any chance that I can use CAT-5 cable instead? I already have it run.

Thanks!

Reply to
itsme213
Loading thread data ...

It will probably work, but maybe not reliably. If they go so far as to suggest a shielded cable, it's very likely the signal is susceptible to RF interference.

Reply to
Dan Wilga

I've used CAT5 for IR on numerous installations without problems. Most of mine have been Xantech and Russound since I don't sell Niles. IME, Niles' IR products are just as good as Russound and Xantech though I don't know if the voltage on the IR runs is the same or if they are more/less susceptible to interferance. Rather than chance having problems after the drywall is up, bench test it first. Just attach the pieces to 150' runs of CAT5 and try it out.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

When the last time was that you installed anything?? And I mean as a "professional" (ie. for money), not as a "favour" to a neighbour, friend, or in-law.

"Winfixer" still comes us as a pop-up on your website, by the way.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cripes Frank, crawl back into your hole.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Isn't it amazing? For a guy who claims not to have a vendetta against Bass he spends an awful lot of effort checking Bob's website and credentials. Over and over and over. Frank was born a little too late - he would have found a home with the Spanish Inquisition!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Hmmmm... I think I'd look pretty good in a Conquistador helmet

formatting link
About the word "vendetta", Inigo Montoya said it best in "Princess Bride": "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank: I think that YOU are the only one confused about what it means.

formatting link
Entry: ven·det·ta Pronunciation: ven-'de-t& Function: noun Etymology: Italian, literally, revenge, from Latin vindicta -- more at VINDICTIVE

1 : BLOOD FEUD 2 : an often prolonged series of retaliatory, vengeful, or hostile acts or exchange of such acts

You continually throw insults just to get even with Robert because you "think" he said things in ASA that you did not think he should.

Compare that with item 2.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

And once again Frank's dead wrong. The word was 'inconceivable' and it wasn't Mandy Patinkin's character uttering the line. For pity's sake Frank, if you're going to expend the effort at least try not to be wrong all of the time, it's just pathetic.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Nope. It *was* Mandy Patinkin's character that uttered that immortal phrase

formatting link
I used something called "license" (another literary term) to attach his phrase to another word.

And *how* would the word "vendetta" apply to a simple question I've asked of Robert? Robert's never done me ill (or my family). Which is the entire point of this... You guys keep using that word and you don't know what it means.

Bravo!! Now you're flaming people like Robert does. Another lesson well learned!

I asked a simple, civil question of an individual that posts frequently in the group. And as long as "Winfixer" (a known security threat) keeps popping up on Robert's site, I figure the warning I post is appropriate.

Hope you all enjoy a happy and prosperous 2006!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Please show me how asking a simple question can be summarized as "continually throwing insults"?? And *who* exactly has been the most insulting here?? Certainly *not* me. I haven't made a single disparaging remark here in quite some time. I've asked some questions and I've posted some helpful information on "Winfixer" (a known security threat) that Robert's primary site keeps throwing at first time visitors.

If you want to get into some heavy "flames", why not examine a few replies Kearney and his pal Green keep making?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Well it's clear we all think you're a disruptive ass. And that you provide little or no help. And appear to pop up solely for the purpose of stalking Bob Bass. That some of us take the time to point out your abberant behavior doesn't even begin to compare to it.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

My, my... another "flame"... Tsk...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.