more than one IP block

Hello,

Hope somebody can enlighten me on what is a new concept for me.

I have a border router (Cisco 2620) and behind that a PIX 515. Pretty standard setup: the router is the uplink to our ISP and the PIX is doing the firewalling and NAT.

We are almost out of public IP addresses in our currently assigned block of 32. But we are bringing on a bunch of more clients and will be hosting secure web servers for them and now need more IP addresses.

Our ISP has told us no problem. They'll give us what we need and I can keep my current block. The ISP's edge routers will direct the new IP's to my border router.

But I'm not clear on how this will affect me. I've never gone beyond a single basic network before, and I'm not clear on how my border router, and PIX as well, will treat these additional IP addresses, if they are already configured to behave as if they are on a class C 255.255.255.224 network.

My ISP assured me that this can be done, but they haven't given me any details yet. I just want to get a head start on understanding this and how my router and PIX will need to be configured.

For example if I currently have 192.168.44.1 thru 192.168.44.32 and my ISP gives me an additional 32 addresses with the range of 192.168.57.33 thru 192.168.57.64, how is my border router going to need to be configured?

Thanks for any info, or links that can be provided to educate me on this.

-DW

Reply to
Duane Winner
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.